[comp.sys.amiga] FLICKERFIXER scanrates

In <16091@snow-white.udel.EDU>, NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>My assumption is that the Ff stores the lines in a buffer, and than spits
>that out to the screen at I assume twice the linefrequency, which is 15.734
>Khz for both systems.

Well, it doesn't store two complete scans, if that's what you mean. As a line
comes in, it is stored and displayed. Then the appropriate line is retrieved
from the buffer where it was stored on the previous scan. This process
continues until a complete scan has been done, with the display showing the
result of having the current output from the Amiga displayed, interleaved with
the previous scan.

Note that when a line is retrieved from the buffer, that buffer is no longer
required, and is available for storing the next 'live' line that comes in,
meaning that the fF only needs to have enough memory to store one complete
'live' scan, plus one line. Peter Selverstone, the designer, explained it a lot
better than I could, but it is pretty slick.

> So the line frequency is probably:31 Khz. Because
>of the 20 percent lower screen refresh rate, 20% more lines fit on one
>screen. But then the size and speed of memory come in play.
>Others will have to answer that question.

Yes, the size of the memory is the determining factor in a PAL fF.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.