[comp.sys.amiga] Risk

a1406@mindlink.UUCP (Elise Tarrant) (03/28/90)

> LordBah@cup.portal.com writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <28337@cup.portal.com>
>
> Org.  : The Portal System (TM)
> Person: Jeffrey J Vanepps
>
> Has anyone figured out how to install Risk on a hard disk?  My attempts
> lead to "Error during setup" and of course there is nothing helpful in
> the instructions...

I tried really hard to get Risk onto my harddrive, but failed. I looked at the
program with CygnusEd and found that there are several text strings which I
assume are used for loading the various files and they all refer to a volume
name 'pix:'. I haven't tried changing that right in the program itself, but I
suspect that may be the only way around booting with the Risk disk.

LordBah@cup.portal.com (Jeffrey J Vanepps) (03/28/90)

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (03/29/90)

In article <28337@cup.portal.com> LordBah@cup.portal.com (Jeffrey J Vanepps) writes:
   Has anyone figured out how to install Risk on a hard disk?  My attempts
   lead to "Error during setup" and of course there is nothing helpful in
   the instructions...

From someone who's done it:

The game is not copy protected, but there is no mechanism for installing the
game on a hard disk. It is not difficult to figure out. The game needs to be
booted from the game disk (or a copy) to operate without assigning fonts
to the game disk. Moving the game font to the Fonts: directory will make the
game runnable without mucking around.

	<mike
--
I went down to the hiring fair,				Mike Meyer
For to sell my labor.					mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/30/90)

In article <1383@mindlink.UUCP> a1406@mindlink.UUCP (Elise Tarrant) writes:
>I tried really hard to get Risk onto my harddrive, but failed. I looked at the
>program with CygnusEd and found that there are several text strings which I
>assume are used for loading the various files and they all refer to a volume
>name 'pix:'. I haven't tried changing that right in the program itself, but I
>suspect that may be the only way around booting with the Risk disk.

No! No!  Just put an  ASSIGN PIX: DH0:GAMES/RISK  in your s:startup-sequence
and you're in business.  You'd have to change the executables only if they
referred to a physical device instead of a logical volume.  Remember, F/18
had a bunch of references to "df0:"; once changed to something like "f18:"
along with the proper ASSIGNment, F/18 runs fine off the HD.

Risk does things properly, referring to a volume like PIX:

Udo Schuermann
walrus@cscwam.umd.edu

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (04/07/90)

Please, someone tell me is this a PD, FTP'able game or is it commercial?????