[comp.sys.amiga] File completion

mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz - CATS) (04/07/90)

In article <9546@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:

>  I just adore Steve Koren's file completion on his SKsh.  But, my
>roomate only has 1Mb and can't spare 200K for a shell.   Wouldn't it
>be nice if someone wrote a file completion handler to patch into the
>reqular 1.3 shell?   I must admit the main reason I'm using SKsh is
>just for the command completion.

If you can handle about 30K (total) you could have WShell/ConMan and
get file completion.  In fact, you will get the most powerful file
completion ever made for any shell.  Plus, WShell has many other
great features.  For $50 LIST PRICE (discounted to much less) you get
a great product that is well supported.

PS - I am only a *VERY* satisfied WShell and ARexx user.  (WShell is
     by the same William S Hawes that wrote ARexx and WShell has
     major ARexx hooks...)

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          "I don't think so," said Ren'e Descartes.             |
| \XX/                    Just then, he vanished.                      |

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (04/07/90)

In article <9546@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1158@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
)roomate only has 1Mb and can't spare 200K for a shell.   Wouldn't it
)be nice if someone wrote a file completion handler to patch into the
)reqular 1.3 shell?

I'm pretty sure that this is so tightly wrapped up in the internal
workings of any shell that it couldn't be patched in.

I recommend WShell.  It's nowhere near that big (and subsequent shell
invocations are nice and small), and the file completion is spectacular.

It has lots of other great features, and is excellent overall.
WShell is a reasonably-priced commercial product.  It does not require
ARexx, but complements it wonderfully if present.

	jimm

--
"This voice console is a *must*.  I press Execute.