[comp.sys.amiga] Transputer graphics board

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (04/06/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Apr4111348@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>> In article <02602.AA02602@sosaria.imp.com>, wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>>> However, you have to be a programmer to use it, since there's NO software
>>> around to support it (and I don't feel like re-writing DPaint III, even if
>>> I could :-)
>
>> But would you REALLY have to rewrite the thing?  After all, couldn't you
>> just write a new graphics library, and have the thing recompiled?  (Granted,
>> this is a major undertaking because all software has to be recompiled, but
>
>> Better yet!  Is the graphics library on disk?  I don't think it gets compiled
>> in...or does it.  I forget.  If it just resides on disk, no compilation should
>> be necessary!!
>

> It doesn't get compiled in.  If you write a new graphics library, all
> applications which use the Graphics Library will happily work without
> modification or recompilation.  The problem is that many programs
> bypass the Graphics Library and twiddle with the system on their own.
> They will break on a new video board.  So will programs that depend on
> copper tricks and other stuff which a foreign graphics board may not
> be able to support.

All graphics software that needs to do anything FAST (i.e. animation) accesses
the video RAM and probably the blitter & copper directly because the graphics
library routines are much too inefficient. In fact if you were to rewrite the
graphics library routines for a Transputer board and you were to do as bad a
job as Commodore/Amiga did for the 68000 versions, applications using them
would probably be slower than applications just accessing the video RAM
directly using the blitter & 68000 assembly language.

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin
rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie

troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com (Troy Barlow) (04/07/90)

 I user of RGBExchange told me that he had a prototype of this transputer
graphics board. He also asked for some source code that would allow him
to interface the board to RGBExchange so that he could make a module
that would ray trace to/with it. I sent him some code, but have not seen
anything yet?!?

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!troyb             |  ProLine: troyb@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com     |  201/469-0049   3/12/2400 Baud
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!troyb@nosc.mil    |  24 Hrs.        Piscataway, NJ