[comp.sys.amiga] Constructive ideas at last!!!!

91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David) (04/08/90)

>Subject: Amiga Ideas....
>From: BARRETT%FOREST.ECIL.IASTATE.EDU@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Marc Barrett)
>Date: 28 Mar 90 14:08:44 GMT

>   As I said in my last message, I have had pure motives in all the
>trouble I've started here.  since the Amiga 1000 was intorduced in
>1985, Commodore has not been on the offense in the computer industry
>at all.  quite the contrary, everything Commodore has introduced since
>1985 has been an effort to 'catch up' to the rest of the industry.

	Alright, I see your point - to a degree.  But remember that C= has been
struggling to recover from mediocre leadership and debt.  Tramiel nuked the
company... gould wasn't letting ppl have a chance to show what they could do,
and I only hope he'll leave Copperman alone.  C= IS on the right track now, I
can feel it, I can see it, and their products are still revolutionary, and
Apple and IBM are STILL catching up in most respects, whatever you might say.

>   With IBM, compaq, and Apple introducing powerful new workstation
>systems, unless Commodore gets into shape, they do not stand a chance
>in anything but the low-end home computer market.  I do not want to
>see this happen.  And is doesn't necessarily have to happen.  All
>it requires is to prevent this is a little capital and a lot of
>imagination.

	Even if they are confined to the home market, that isn't necessarilly
bad.  After all, there are over 250 million potential users out there.
However, I dont' believe it will happen, and the stacked Amigas compete VERY
nicely with other desktop systems.  I want the power to grow too, and I see
that it is, especially with 1.4.

>   Instead of contributing trouble now, I would like to contribute
>ideas.  I have already outlined the possibility of instilling a
>10-bitplane HAM mode into the Lowell video board.  This alone would
>cause Apple a lot of trouble.  This would allow Commodore to produce
>a product with the capability of producing millions of colors on the
>screen with less than 2/5 the amount of memory per frame as the
>Apple graphics board requires.

>   There is also this small company called Digital Animation Productions
>which is producing a product called the Video Transputer.  The last
>I heard, there are having quite a time trying to develop and market
>this product themselves.  What if Commodore were to purchase this
>small company, and make the Video Transputer circuitry standard
>hardware for an Amiga Graphics Workstation?  What would THAT do to
>the FX???   (A LOT.  The Video Tranputer has the same graphics
>capabilities as the FX, but a hell of a lot faster.  Put into a high-
>end 68030-based Amiga, and given a 32-bit communications channel to
>the 68030, it would, quite literally, blow the FX out of the water,
>for approximately the same price).

	It's refreshing to see this kind of constructiveness from you.  Just
when I thought you were just another blowhard, you show me wrong.  The ideas
are good.  But can C= afford it?  Only they know.  I hope they consider the
ideas though.

>   Then there is also the Video Toaster.  I doubt NewTek would want

	Indeed. :)

>   Other ideas can be considered.  I just want Commodore to go
>with one of them, instead of sitting on their hands as they have
>since the MAC II was originally introduced.

	They haven't been sitting on their hands, I assure you.  I've seen too
much news and too much of beta 1.4 to believe they have!  Development takes
time.  Remember last year, and the year before when they asked us all what we
wanted??  Their responses are beginning to flow!!!  Don't worry, Be Happy! :)

>                                   -MB-

>                    AMIGA <middle deleted> FOREVER!!!

#DEFINE std.disclaimers
"A.N.A.R.C.H.Y.:it isn't a belief, it's a way of life!"

Dave Bicking         	       Single Tasking????? Just say NO!!!!
Union College Box 152          91_bickingd@union.bitnet
Schenectady, NY 12308          91_bickingd@gar.union.edu	    //
		      						  \X/  Amiga