[comp.sys.amiga] A working UUEncode

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (03/22/90)

Not too long ago I tried to get a program up to a UNIX machine, but had little
luck due to lack of being able to uuencode the .zoo file. I vaguely remember
talk in the distant past about a problem with uuencode (approx. Fish58 & 92).
Does it work or is there a better way available? It seems like I used it like
this: 'uuencode source_file dest_file' or 'uuencode source_file >dest_file' but
after about 5 minutes I would kill it and find a destination file of about 25
bytes. I was getting the impression it was using the terminal for input instead
of the source_file.
					       Thanks, Mike

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

In <1966@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil>, nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>Not too long ago I tried to get a program up to a UNIX machine, but had little
>luck due to lack of being able to uuencode the .zoo file. I vaguely remember
>talk in the distant past about a problem with uuencode (approx. Fish58 & 92).
>Does it work or is there a better way available? It seems like I used it like
>this: 'uuencode source_file dest_file' or 'uuencode source_file >dest_file' but
>after about 5 minutes I would kill it and find a destination file of about 25
>bytes. I was getting the impression it was using the terminal for input instead
>of the source_file.

uuencode localfile remotefile >filename

Where 'localfile' is the file you wish to uuencode, 'remotefile' is the name
it will have after it is uudecoded, and 'filename' is the name of the file
produced by uuencode.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

In <1600@maestro.htsa.aha.nl>, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) writes:
>In some article lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In another article nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>>>[Some things about UUencode]
>>>It seems like I used it like this: 'uuencode source_file dest_file' or
>>>'uuencode source_file >dest_file'.
>
>>Larry writes:
>>uuencode localfile remotefile >filename
>
>This doesn't work, unfortunately, if you are using the default
>Shell (I don't know about CShell and those). It has to be:
>
>1>uuencode >UUencodedFile InputFile NameOfInputFile
>
>this because the redirection-file has to first on the command-line
>after the command.

Ahh! Right you are. I am so used to putting my redirection operators wherever
they seem right, that I forgot about the standard CLI/Shell requirement that
they go first. Couln't live wihout my WShell.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (03/27/90)

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (03/28/90)

In article <1966@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil>, nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
> Not too long ago I tried to get a program up to a UNIX machine, but had little
> luck due to lack of being able to uuencode the .zoo file. I vaguely remember
> talk in the distant past about a problem with uuencode (approx. Fish58 & 92).
> Does it work or is there a better way available? It seems like I used it like
> this: 'uuencode source_file dest_file' or 'uuencode source_file >dest_file' but
> after about 5 minutes I would kill it and find a destination file of about 25
> bytes. I was getting the impression it was using the terminal for input instead
> of the source_file.
> 					       Thanks, Mike

	Use the command 'uuencode >dest_file source_file dest_filename'

where dest_file is where the uuencoded output will be written, source_file
is the source, and dest_filename is what it will use as an output filename
when uudecoding it after you send it.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: dayvb!fac2

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (03/29/90)

From article <1302@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, by lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips):
> In <1600@maestro.htsa.aha.nl>, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) writes:
>>
>>this because the redirection-file has to first on the command-line
>>after the command.
>
> Ahh! Right you are. I am so used to putting my redirection operators wherever
> they seem right, that I forgot about the standard CLI/Shell requirement that
> they go first. Couln't live wihout my WShell.

Oh! The luxuries of UNIX and other enhanced shells. I thought to check the
'man' page on uuencode not too long after posting this intial question to see
if it was any cleared than .doc file with the amiga version. It was MUCH
clearer to me. I haven't gone back to look at the Amiga doc, but I don't
recall it saying anythng about all 3 parameters, which makes perfect sense to
me now. Thanks anyway for all the help everyone had to give. And you all gave
this help without having to point out that this probably could have been done
much easier on a Mac II, and with better graphics too, for only about $3,000 -
$4,000 more. ;-).

						Thanks, Mikey

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh
mfigg@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil      CIS:  73777,360

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (04/08/90)

There was indeed a problem with an earlier verison of uuencode.  It
failed to pad out (with spaces) all lines to 60 chars.  Some versions of
uuencode would bomb on these un-padded uuencoded files.  I used used a
wordprocessor to pad all the lines out to 60 chars afterwards, I
never did see a never version.