[comp.sys.amiga] B. A. D. and the 2091

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (03/28/90)

Has anyone successfully used the B.A.D. disk optimizer with a disk
hooked up to the 2091?  I'm using version 3.15, and it works great
for everything except my 2091 harddrive, where it complains that it
"can't seem to find the root block."  I looked with a disk zapper,
and there is a root block, but B.A.D. can't find it.

Ideas?

dylan mcnamee
dylan@cs.washington.edu

Norman.Russell@weyr.FIDONET.ORG (Norman Russell) (03/29/90)

I have managed to use B.A.D. successfully with my 2091 controller.
I just checked my version number of B.A.D. and it's 3.15 too.
The harddrive I am using is the Quantum 40Meg. SCSI
 (Maybe thats whats different)

However, even after B.A.D.ing my hard drive there is not much of a
speed increase (compared to my old ST506 (MiniScribe 3650) and 2090 contoller).  When I use a program called FREE, it does show that the disk blocks have all be placed in order and not fragmented all over the disk.

   Norm        (russe340@skdad.usask.ca)
               (874201@watt.usask.ca)
               (norman.russell@p1.f42.n140.z1.fidonet.org)

--
Norman Russell - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!Norman.Russell

denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) (03/30/90)

I got the same message so if you get the answere please post it here. Thanks.
I also have the 2091 controller.
                                               Dennis Anderson

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (04/08/90)

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>Has anyone successfully used the B.A.D. disk optimizer with a disk
>hooked up to the 2091?  I'm using version 3.15, and it works great
>for everything except my 2091 harddrive, where it complains that it
>"can't seem to find the root block."  I looked with a disk zapper,
>and there is a root block, but B.A.D. can't find it.

I've used B.A.D. exactly once with my 2091.  It worked just fine.  With
all the controversy ("...works great!"  "...trashed my ##%@@*
drive...") surrounding B.A.D., I had done a complete backup just minutes
before.  Had I not done so, well...  So, that's a 2091, Quantum drive
(stock C= setup), FFS, on a 3 meg machine.  B.A.D. version 3.11.

Another poster, bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott), stated that
version 4.0 is on the way.  I guess I'll upgrade when that becomes
reality.  Say Ben, since you're so close to those guys, could you find out
if I'm still on their registration list?

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav
"I've got a bunch of bananas, and a bottle of bleach!"