[comp.sys.amiga] Wedge

edusoft@ecf.toronto.edu (Educational Software) (01/18/88)

     I'm considering buying the WEDGE card for my A500 but would like to
hear from someone who has actually received one first.  Is there anyone
out there who can help me?  Thanks in advance.

Wayne Feick

jtaylor@ms.uky.edu (Jeff Taylor) (02/27/88)

I am seriously thinking about adding a large hard drive to my 500.  I would
like to know what the well-informed people on the 'net' think about the
WEDGE card. Is it reliable? Is it worth whatever it costs (how much is that)?
How fast can I get one? Does it come with its own power supply?
Does it work with most IBM style external drives?  Where can I get a WEDGE?
Last but not least, if you were going to add a drive to your system,
would you purchase a WEDGE and an external drive (IBM style) ?

E-mail if you think this is not 'net-worthy.'

Thanks in advance.

INTERNET:             jtaylor@ms.uky.edu
BITNET:               jeff@ukcc

a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen) (06/15/89)

For information about the WEDGE or EASY Streamer please refer to the address
and phone number below.
--
RSI-where WEDGES come from  //                     Multi-Tasking is my life!
9651 Alexandra Road        //   Name: Dave Allen

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (03/30/90)

Ok, I finally have an extra PC HD and controller card...now I need a
Wedge.  So if anyone is getting rid of one let me know..

Otherwise, could somone please sent to me the address of the company that
manufactures and sells them.

Thanks.

--
  Paul Deisinger                     "Me wa kuchi hodo ni mono o ii"
                                     "Bushi wa kuwanedo takayooji"

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (04/06/90)

In article <1990Apr5.141558.6039@ug.cs.dal.ca> gilgan@ug.cs.dal.ca
(S.O.D.) writes:

> How much does the Wedge cost? I think it lets you hook an IBM
> card and drive up to your amiga..is this true? Can anyone
> comment on how well it works? I have a 20 meg miniscribe
> lying around with a Western Digital controller , and would
> like to put it to use.

You're right on as to what the Wedge does.  Mine has worked just
fine for a couple of years now.  If you'd like to order one, or
just get information, contact:

Dave Allen
General Delivery
Roberts Creek, BC
Canada, V0N 2W0

(604) 886-4545

Be sure to state whether it's for a 500 or a 1000.

> thanks, Tom

You're welcome.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP (another satisfied Wedge owner)
"If tin whistles are made of tin, what do they make foghorns out of?"
        -- Lonnie Donegan

In <1990Apr7.192742.27363@lavaca.uh.edu>, jet@tramp.tmc.edu (j. eric townsend) writes:
>In article <1426@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>>You're right on as to what the Wedge does.  Mine has worked just
>>fine for a couple of years now.  If you'd like to order one, or
>>just get information, contact:
>>[...]
>>Be sure to state whether it's for a 500 or a 1000.
>

>How about a 2000?

There is no Wedge for the 2000. I did one, once, as a prototype, but the
arrival of low cost controllers from a few manufacturers pretty much killed the
idea from a commercial point of view. Dave (the marketdroid in charge) never
did expresss enough interest to make me want to pursue it.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

jet@tramp.tmc.edu (j. eric townsend) (04/08/90)

In article <1426@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>You're right on as to what the Wedge does.  Mine has worked just
>fine for a couple of years now.  If you'd like to order one, or
>just get information, contact:
>[...]
>Be sure to state whether it's for a 500 or a 1000.

How about a 2000?

--
J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics
jet@karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(tm).

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (04/09/90)

In article <1365@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>How about a 2000?
>
>There is no Wedge for the 2000. I did one, once, as a prototype, but the
>arrival of low cost controllers from a few manufacturers pretty much killed the
>idea from a commercial point of view. Dave (the marketdroid in charge) never
>did expresss enough interest to make me want to pursue it.

You'd look around in Germany. I think half of the A2000 harddisk run
with a wedge-type controller. It's just cheaper and easier to build.
Maybe since 8-10 weeks, the A2000 owners convert to SCSI controllers but
the only thing before was this 'wedge'.
I still remember the trouble when there was a short of the OMTI5527
controllers that were used for the 'wedge'.

--
Michael van Elst
p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de

In <716@mpirbn.UUCP>, p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) writes:
>In article <1365@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>>How about a 2000?
>>
>>There is no Wedge for the 2000. I did one, once, as a prototype, but the
>>arrival of low cost controllers from a few manufacturers pretty much killed the
>>idea from a commercial point of view. [ ... ]
>
>You'd look around in Germany. I think half of the A2000 harddisk run
>with a wedge-type controller. It's just cheaper and easier to build.
>Maybe since 8-10 weeks, the A2000 owners convert to SCSI controllers but
>the only thing before was this 'wedge'.
>I still remember the trouble when there was a short of the OMTI5527
>controllers that were used for the 'wedge'.

I always thought that there would be a decent market for one, but I sure wasn't
going to try to market it myself, and the folks that would market it just
didn't seem interested. At the time, the 2090 was just out, and it cost $329
Cdn, or about $265 US, and gave the user the capability of running 2 ST506
drives and SCSI as well. It went about twice the speed of the Wedge, minimum.

Oh well.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.