[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000 Bootup/Guru Problem.

douglas_walter_gouty@scallop.cis.ohio-state.edu (04/08/90)

	This problem is sometimes caused by excessive noise on the expansion bus.  What sort of expansion hardware do you have?
	You might want to try cleanning off you bus connecters with an asatone solution and a Q-tip.

cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) (04/09/90)

In article <2014@awdprime.UUCP> rick@samurai.austin.ibm.com writes:
>My Amiga 1000 appears to be on its last leg.  I am constantly getting two
>GURU messages upon bootup.  These messages sometimes alternate, but the
>message is rarely different than these two numbers.  This posting is a
>The GURUS I am getting are:
>
>00000003.00C01570 or
>00000004.00C01570               (This is the one I get 95% of the time)
>
>getting the constant GURUS listed above.  As a side note, I have the 512k
>do-it-yourself memory upgrade that was in Byte a few years ago.
>+     Rick Sutton - Contractor - IBM AWD - Austin, Texas (512) 823-4722       +
>+          @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!samurai.austin.ibm.com!rick           +
>+     ..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!samurai.austin.ibm.com!rick        +
With an unchanging memory address/location in all or your Guru messages I
would suspect
a) a bad memory chip
b) a bad PAL on the daughterboard
It may be a heat problem, or possibly bad grounding. Check to ensure that
all of the memory chips in your DRAM hack are fully seated. Are they
located in the C00000 range? Chances are that they are indeed. If you have
a marginal PAL, i'd suggest getting yourself a Rejuvenator board. It'll cost
some bucks ($500), but you will no longer have marginal parts on a marginal
board (the daughterboard). If that's out of your range, the PALs themselves
are pretty cheap, but you'll have to hire the services of a qualified
electronic technician to check it out ($$$). Good luck.

Paul Theodoropoulos   cassiel@well.sf.ca.us    cassiel@well.UUCP

menelli@sunb3.cs.uiuc.edu (04/09/90)

/* Written 10:42 am  Apr  4, 1990 by rick@samurai.austin.ibm.com in sunb3:comp.sys.amiga */
/* ---------- "Amiga 1000 Bootup/Guru Problem." ---------- */
My Amiga 1000 appears to be on its last leg.  I am constantly getting two
GURU messages upon bootup.  These messages sometimes alternate, but the
message is rarely different than these two numbers.  This posting is a
plea for help to aid me in determining what is wrong, and how I can fix it
if possible.  Chip/Part numbers would be a great help if that is the problem!

The GURUS I am getting are:

00000003.00C01570 or
00000004.00C01570               (This is the one I get 95% of the time)

I am not sure of the number of zeros in front of the 3 or 4, but the C01570
is constant.

The strange thing is I am sometimes able to actually get through kickstart
and use the machine.  Other side effects include the system locking up and
staying that way, but NO GURU appears.  When this occurs, I cannot reboot
using the control-amiga-amiga, but instead I have to shut the machine totally
off.  Usually after this has occured, and I turn the system back on, I start
getting the constant GURUS listed above.  As a side note, I have the 512k
do-it-yourself memory upgrade that was in Byte a few years ago.

If someone at Commodore or anyone with some hardware knowledge about the
Amiga could take a second and offer an opinion, I would be extremely greatful.

+     Rick Sutton - Contractor - IBM AWD - Austin, Texas (512) 823-4722       +
+          @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!samurai.austin.ibm.com!rick           +
+     ..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!samurai.austin.ibm.com!rick        +
/* End of text from sunb3:comp.sys.amiga */

Well, I used to have the same problem, and I too had a hacked up 512k expansion
inside the machine. After about a year and a half, something happened to the
chips and/or the wires that caused the machine to guru when I turned it on.
After being on for a few minutes, it would eventually work as expected.

The solution? Well, I went the extreme route and ripped out the memory and
bought a Spirit Inboard. It's much more stable. My guess is that the 150 ns
RAMs were the problem - maybe 120's would have worked better. It seems like
150ns rams are sort of on the borderline between fast enough and not. I know
someone who has the same problem with his A500 512k expander - guess what -
150ns RAMs. He, too, has to wait for a few minutes before the machine boots
successfully.

Do you have 150s in your machine? I don't know if this is the real problem,
or the behavior of the two aforementioned machines is purely coincidental, but
I would suggest removing the hack, since it saved me a lot of headaches in the
long run. Otherwise, maybe faster RAMs?

Ron Menelli
menelli@cs.uiuc.edu