[comp.sys.amiga] amiga librarian for K5

commike@procyon.cs.buffalo.edu (Alan Commike ) (04/09/90)

[]=..   <- line-eater trap, be berry berry quiet - i'm hunting line-eaters

Has anyone done any work on a patch librarian between an amiga and a
K5? I'm just looking for something very simple to save and load patches.
I'd rather not spend $300 to get software that will do sequencing, and
editing, and is a librarian, and takes out the garbage on tuesday's...

Are there any peculiar quirks i should watch out for in talking to the
K5? (in software that is, i talk to it enough when i'm trying to play)

What about the PD midi libraries for the amiga? This is my first crack
at midi software. I know about the CMU toolkit, and two other midi
libraries.

thanks much,

	...alan

internet: commike@cs.buffalo.edu |
bitnet: commike%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvm.bitnet |
uucp:  ..!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!cs.buffalo.edu!commike
Real-Life: Alan Commike - SUNY @ Buffalo, Buffalo NY

Q: How many computer scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: It's undecidable!

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (04/09/90)

In article <21265@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> commike@procyon.cs.buffalo.edu (Alan Commike ) writes:
>Has anyone done any work on a patch librarian between an amiga and a
>K5? I'm just looking for something very simple to save and load patches.
>I'd rather not spend $300 to get software that will do sequencing, and
>editing, and is a librarian, and takes out the garbage on tuesday's...

The public domain GLIB librarian works with the Amiga and K5.  GLIB is a
generic librarian that has been ported to a number of computers and
synthesizers.  It's very bare-bones, but gets the job done.  It's
available at some ftp site somewhere (I don't have ftp access so I can't
tell you where) and it's on one of the Fish disks.  I ported it to the
Amiga and did the K5 support;  I'll send you a copy if you can't get
one elsewhere.

In my "spare" time I've been doing an Intuition-based K5 librarian that's
much easier to use than GLIB.  It more-or-less works but I'm not finished
adding all the features I want to (thursday is take-out-the-garbage day
around here :-).  I plan on making it PD once it's finished, hopefully
in a couple of weeks (I've been saying that for a couple of months now).

I've also taken a stab at creating a Music-X protocol for the K5, with
disappointing results.  The current revision of Music-X can't display
K5 patch names (it doesn't support the K5 nibble ordering) and if the
K5 and Music-X ever get out of sync, you're hosed (see the next part...)

>Are there any peculiar quirks i should watch out for in talking to the
>K5? (in software that is, i talk to it enough when i'm trying to play)

The K5 seems awfully particular about timing between packets.  I've had a
heckuva time getting anything at all to work with it, whereas I've had no
trouble controlling other synthesizers.  You also have to send ACK or NAK
packets at unexpected and undocumented times, else the K5 goes into a
trance and can be difficult to revive.

--
-- Alan Bland
-- att!druwy!mab == mab@druwy.ATT.COM