[comp.sys.amiga] Byte, low cost color scanner, amiga?

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (04/09/90)

In article <3236@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) writes:
>Byte had a review of Sharp's JX-100 with the statement that
>software was only available for the Mac with software support
>*planned* [poor choice of words IMO -sd] for IBM, and Amiga.  I
>understand lead time for articles but:

It's good to hear that Byte had a review of the scanner. I'll have to take
a look. It's a real shame that they only had the Mac software to review. The
three computer platforms have substantially different software interfaces,
and it's really unfair to judge (do a review of) the JX-100 by only one-third
of the available options.

>1) I thought Sharp did have software months ago and

They did, but I'd say this is a prime example of Byte blinders. At that time,
(when the article was written) they could have had early versions of all three
pieces of software.

>2) I thought ASDG provided software support for the Jx-100 many
>many moons ago.   In fact because of ASDG I thought the amiga was
>one of the first computers that was able to fully utilize these
>flatbed scanners.

We did, and it was. The final versions of JX-100 software for the Amiga and
Mac were approved by Sharp at about the same time. I'm not sure which was
first. The IBM software support was approved later.

>Please, Please NO Mac to Amiga comparisons.  I *would* like to
>know the system requirements and state of the software for using
>the sharp jx-100 scanner on the AMIGA.  That's all folks.  I had
>some distinct impressions about this on the AMIGA and now I am
>not sure.  Please update.

At this time, you can purchase a JX-100 with software for either the Amiga,
Mac or IBM, from your favorite dealer.

The Amiga system requirements are an Amiga 500 or 2000 with more than 1
megabyte of memory. We suggest a minimum of 3M (2M of 'fast' ram), and with
5M (4M of 'fast' ram), you can scan the scanner's entire area at its
maximum resolution.

- Aaron
--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams