[comp.sys.amiga] Arexx

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (02/10/88)

Could someone give a basic demonstration of how ARexx cures all
ailments?

PS  My newsreading software here in IBM land is written in REXX.

ba@m-net (Bill Allen) (08/20/88)

Who can give a brief (or even detailed) summary of AREXX for the
amiga.  What will and won't it do for me?  About all I've heard so far
is it allows separate programs it communicate with each other.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/22/88)

Bill,
I have ARexx but have not had it that long, but here are my impressions of it
so far....
 Think of it as really a programming language! It has so many features that
it can be overwhelming at first... But it is not to bad... the manual that
comes with it in *MY* opinion is ABOVE average! Very well done!
 It is an interpreted language no compiling is needed, the speed seems pretty
darn good! So the question is not really "what can I do with it" but really
what can't you do with it!! Thats my 2 cents worth... I am still playing with
it.....

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

James_E_Gary@cup.portal.com (08/27/88)

It is hard to put it into few words. AREXX is a full featured programming
language that communicates very well with the operating system. You could
think of it as a very fancy 'macro' language. If fact if you get WShell,
then you will probably never write another 'execute' script. You get all
the file handling, procedures, parameters, etc. that you expect from a
programming language, but it is trivial to issue commands to the CLI also.
The integration to other programs is almost like another product. AREXX can
send commands to other programs as easily as to the CLI, and with the
library and header files that come with AREXX it is very easy to make your
program communicate with AREXX. And of course, any two programs that
communicate with AREXX can be glued together through an AREXX program.
As more software sports an AREXX interface, your system becomes highly
integrated and customizable. Even without AREXX interfaces, programs that
are controllable through command lines are easily accessible.
-James

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/11/88)

It looks like ARexx is really taking off!  Practically every
vendor I talked to at AmiEXPO is planning an ARexx port in their
product, has one in beta, or has one that is released.  Two
noteworthy examples are CygnusED from ASDG and MicroFiche
Filer Plus from Software Visions.

CygnusED has turned out even better than I dared hope; I can
actually make it into an Emacs, and it's amazingly powerful.
I'll give more information as I integrate it into my environment.
Give this product a look.

MicroFiche Filer Plus has a very nice ARexx interface, the
nicest I've seen to date (far superior to my interface in
AmigaTeX.)

Now I need to get a copy of Zing! Spell, which reputably also
has an ARexx port, and see how well it works . . .

If you've ignored ARexx in the past, give it a look.  At $50,
it is the *best* deal in Amiga software, bar none.

-tom

;;;  I have no financial connection with anyone mentioned above
;    except AmigaTeX.  It's just that the number of new products
;    with ARexx ports and the new possibilities are just too
;    exciting to keep quiet about.  Bill doesn't even know I'm
;    writing this . . .

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (04/08/89)

I have heard many things about ARexx except for
what it is and where to get it.  Who wrote this?
Where can I find out more about it?
Is it comercial, PD, or what?
   Thanks -- Darren New

amiga@athena.mit.edu (MITAUG Staff) (04/08/89)

In article <12601@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>I have heard many things about ARexx except for
>what it is and where to get it.  Who wrote this?
>Where can I find out more about it?
>Is it comercial, PD, or what?
>   Thanks -- Darren New

AREXX is a commercial product written by William Hawes.  It is an
interpreted program that supports a "port" protocal that allows
different programs to interact.  Programs that support this are said
to have AREXX ports.  The basic 'gist of the product is a very
flexible method in which many programs may interact through a "script"
language.

Currently version 1.06 is available but a new version is being beta
tested.  I highly recommend it if you like, for example, to have and
editor interact with compilers, AmigaTeX etc ... (these are typical
application).

I have no association with any of the above products, I'm just a
satisfied user of AmigaTeX/CED/AREXX.

Ric Carreras

ARPA: carreras@lees.mit.edu
BIX:  carreras

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (04/09/89)

In article <12601@louie.udel.EDU>, new@udel.EDU (Darren New) says:

>I have heard many things about ARexx except for
>what it is and where to get it.  Who wrote this?
>Where can I find out more about it?
>Is it comercial, PD, or what?
>   Thanks -- Darren New

ARexx is a product and can be obtained mail ordr from most the places
that advertise in the Amiga Magazines.  It was written by Bill Hawes.
It is NOT PD.

ARexx is a little hard to explain, because it does not fit in
on simple category, like "spreadsheet".

1.  ARexx is a fairly complete, user friendly programming language with
the usual control structures, infinite precision arithmetic (for machines
with infinite memory, anyway 8-), very good string handling including
parsing  of input strings, and  a large number of hooks into the Amiga
environment.

2.  It is interpreted, but still pretty fast, and small.  It can
be used directly from the command line, so you can write great shell
scripts with it.

3.  It can talk to other programs!!!  This is the neatest part.

Most programs you use respond to some sort of command language, right?
Commands like "next", "previous", select third item on second menu, and
so on.  *IF* the vendor of that software (let's use a text editor for an
example) provides an AREXX PORT, then you can write Arexx programs that
send commands to the software.  You might write a program that
*sorts a list of names* in your editor for you, or searches for certain
lines and changes them somehow, and so forth.

Notice that not only can ARexx send commands to these programs, but it
can retrieve data from thos programs, too, examine that data ,and
act accordingly.

4.  Since it can talk to programs, and retrieve data from them, it can
*act as a go-between*!!!

Suppose you have a database system, and you know how to perform some
query to retrieve data from it.  Then, you could write an ARexx program
to do the same thing(*if* the dbms has a port).

You could also have this ARexx program glue that data into a file you
are editing.  Then, when you are writing that rport, and it comes time
to perform the query and then insert the results of that query into your
report, you just execute one simple ARexx program and ...

plus awk, sed, grep, and the other tools.  ARexx gives you much the same
capability PLUS it can talk to multiple applications.  It is a true
USER AGENT.  Are you a CMS user.  ARexx is REXX, with Amiga features
added.  There is also a REXX for MSDOS (no talking to other applications
on a single tasking machine, though).

What about *if*??  Well, it looks like lots of vendors are busily
adding ARexx ports to their next release, or have already.  See the
ads in an Amiga Magazine.

Are we ever lucky, or what?  This should eventually really pay off.
One thing it means is that every Amiga product can have exactly very similar
(so-called) macro languages---ARexx.  Furthermore, since there only needs
to be one memory resident copy of ARexx to service all those applicatiuons,
we save memory, too.

That's what it is.

                  lee

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (04/17/89)

It is a port-manager as well as a script-oriented programming language.
Actually, I've taken to doing all my programming in it rather than in C,
but it is substantially slower than C, being interpreted.  I certainly
couldn't sell my ARexx software, but it takes a lot less time to develop,
and I'm a professional C developer, having used the language for 8 years
now . . .

William S. Hawes
P.O. Box 308
Maynard, MA   01754

$49.95 or so.  Ask if he still has a deal for ARexx+WShell; WShell is
a nice shell that works well with ARexx.  It is less of an improvement
of Commodore software now that Newshell is out, though.
--
-- Brian, the Man from Babble-on.		...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts
--

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/08/89)

     I am trying to compile a list of programs that have an AREXX port.
 Any assistance would be most appreciated.

     Also, if anyone has any general purpose AREXX scripts, and would
 like to share, I'd like to get ahold of them.

     Please EMail me directly.

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

               "There is no Dark Side of the Moon...
                                     in fact it is all dark."          */

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (04/08/90)

In article <5782@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> tcrevier@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (The Guy With Blue Hair) writes:
>I am not really new to the Amiga world, but I have never really understood
>exactly what it was that Arexx did.  I have some programs that support it
>(A-Talk III for example), but I am not exactly sure what it does.  If
>someone(s) could send me some mail, or post here a brief and fairly low level
>synopsis of Arexx, it would be appreciated.

ARexx is a programming language.  It's nowhere near as powerful as C is,
for example, but it's very good for short little script-type languages.
On the Amiga it's primarily intended to be a high-power replacement for the
CLI scripts we all know and hate. ('execute ...')

One of the main selling points of ARexx is that it has hooks so that other
programs can be written to communicate with ARexx scripts.  For example,
I've got an ARexx script that replaces the ATalk III "CHAT" emulation
with something infinitely better.  ARexx can also access all normal AmigaDOS
commands, giving you complete control over the machine.

IMHO ARexx is truly incredible at parsing input, at taking an input string
and splitting it into whatever components you want.  I use it mostly to
write quick and dirty filters to get a file from how it is to how I want
it.

I've had experience with Rexx on IBM mainframes, where it was born and
raised.  ARexx seems to be quite a faithful implementation, and is in some
ways easier to use.  (Ever try to use EXECIO on an IBM mainframe?  *shudder*)
The manual that comes with ARexx is an excellent reference manual, but
it's NOT a tutorial.  Personally, I perfer learning from reference manuals,
but that's not for everyone.  And like I said, I already knew Rexx before
I laid eyes on ARexx...

While I said ARexx is best for short little scripts, I don't mean to imply
that that's all it's good for.  I've seen some truly incredible uses of
Rexx on the IBMs, including a full-featured multi-user chat host program
and several end-user chat programs.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but
I think the RELAY code on Bitnet is written in Rexx.  It's quite powerful
once you get the hang of it.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
If all you do in life are important things, then   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (04/09/90)

In article <2159@grape3.UUCP>, king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes...
^
^While I said ARexx is best for short little scripts, I don't mean to imply
^that that's all it's good for.  I've seen some truly incredible uses of
^Rexx on the IBMs, including a full-featured multi-user chat host program
^and several end-user chat programs.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but
^I think the RELAY code on Bitnet is written in Rexx.  It's quite powerful
^once you get the hang of it.
^

If I remember correctly the early RELAY code was written in EXEC2 (I might
actually have some on hardcopy somewhere...yuk) and later when Rexx appeared
at more sites it was done in Rexx.  I remember those days...

Ah wait: Amiga Content -

I just bought ARexx and my Rexx is a bit rusty (always did EXEC2 becuase it ran
faster)...do you know of a tutorial I can run through?

Thanks,

Nigel Tzeng

        A| Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc. - xrtnt@csdr.gsfc.nasa.gov
     // m|
    //  i| Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.
 \X/    a| "Producing a system from specifications is like walking on water...