[comp.sys.amiga] GVP! Rah!

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (04/07/90)

robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:

>Unfortunately my GVP hasn't even flickered.  (Although it did come with a bad
>drive access LED, which I replaced myself).  I too would buy anything from
>these guys -- except for something I wanted to be quiet (the Impact A500
>sounds like a JET engine).

Hmm..  Well, I havn't been as lucky as you guys.  I bought probably one of
the first GVP Impact 500s w/40MB Quantum drive.

The power supply went in after about a year of use.  I replaced
it myself with a 150MB IBM type PS.  Maybe I should have called GVP, but I
was out of warranty, and figured they wouldn't help me.  Anyway, I needed to
get my Ami up and running fast, so I got the PS and wired it up the next
day.  BTW, I did a little figuring, and unless my basic electronics is a
rusty, I found that the PS that was shipped w/ my Impact 500 was just enough
to power the HD and probably the circuit board.  But NOT on HD spinup!  It
was WAY overdrawn on spinup.  I figure that's why it eventually died on me.

The other problem, which worries me more, is a problem with the HD itself.

Sometimes when I boot, cold or warm, or sometimes just when I'm using
the machine, the head seems to lock in the parked position.  Repeated
reboots and power cycles (LOTS) eventually gets the head free and everything
works fine, no data lost or anything.  It makes some horrible noises when it's
stuck though.  Suppose I SHOULD give GVP a call.  Probably too late now.

I also can't stand the noise of the fan, but that's just something you have
to get used to.  Us A500 and A1000 users are used to nice quiet systems, but
most computer fans are pretty noisy.  Listen to your generic PC.  And if you
like lots of fan noise, listen to a Sun VME box.  Those things have like
9 fans large fans in 'em!  (2 in the back, 6 on the bottom, 1 on the PS)

C'ya,
Jim

--
James S. Burwell
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb        Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP

robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (04/09/90)

In article <1299@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>The other problem, which worries me more, is a problem with the HD itself.
>
>Sometimes when I boot, cold or warm, or sometimes just when I'm using
>the machine, the head seems to lock in the parked position.  Repeated
>reboots and power cycles (LOTS) eventually gets the head free and everything
>works fine, no data lost or anything.  It makes some horrible noises when it's

Sounds like GVP got bitten by the Quantum manufacturing glitch -- just like
Apple.  It seems that Quantum shipped a whole bunch of 40 and/or 80 meg drives
(my memory fails me), that had too much grease (or something liek that) on
the platters.  Anyway, when the drive was spinning, the friction was enough
to keep the grease warmed up a slick.  But,... when the drive stopped, the
grease cooled and stuck the heads in place.  Alot of Apple owners had to
bang the thing on the side to free it up.  I suggest that you call GVP,
they might get refunds from Quantum for each one of these drives they return.
Who knows???

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|