[comp.sys.amiga] Microbotics hardframe and the Fat Agnus

climber@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (climber) (03/20/90)

Hi there.  I have a microbotics hardframe controller for my SeaGate
ST-277N harddrive.  I want to get the fat agnus upgrade since
I keep running out of chip ram.  I am told that the hardframe
does not like the Fat Agnus chip.  Can anyone tell me any information
on the subject and if there are any fellow sufferers out there?

In addition, has anyone tried the 2630 with the hardframe?

Craig Limber    climber@sol.UVic.CA

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (03/21/90)

In article <972@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP> climber@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (climber) writes:
=-Hi there.  I have a microbotics hardframe controller for my SeaGate
=-ST-277N harddrive.  I want to get the fat agnus upgrade since
=-I keep running out of chip ram.  I am told that the hardframe
=-does not like the Fat Agnus chip.  Can anyone tell me any information
=-on the subject and if there are any fellow sufferers out there?
=-
	Mine get along just fine.  My drive is a Q80S, though, but that
shouldn't make any difference.

=-In addition, has anyone tried the 2630 with the hardframe?
=-

	Me too!!  :-)

akcs.clemon@wcbcs (Craig Lemon) (03/22/90)

>Hi there.  I have a microbotics hardframe controller for my SeaGate
>ST-277N harddrive.  I want to get the fat agnus upgrade since
>I keep running out of chip ram.  I am told that the hardframe
>does not like the Fat Agnus chip.  Can anyone tell me any information
>on the subject and if there are any fellow sufferers out there?

I have the HardFrame as well controlling my Quantum Q105S.  I haven't had
any problems yet and I believe that I've seen Hardframes running on new
2000s.  This would imply that there isn't a problem with the new Agnus.  I
cannot be certain however.  PLease e-mail any replies to me as well.  Thanks
--                            _
 Craig Lemon              // |_|
 Kitchener, Ontario     \X/  | |  M  I  G  A

 Amiga 2000 -- 2400 bps -- AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 ..!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!lemsys!clemon
 ..!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!{_clemon|AKCS.clemon}

           ^^ Not Reliable Yet
         "Yes, it's my real name!!"

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee) (03/23/90)

In article <972@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP> climber@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (climber) writes:
>Hi there.  I have a microbotics hardframe controller for my SeaGate
>ST-277N harddrive.  I want to get the fat agnus upgrade since
>I keep running out of chip ram.  I am told that the hardframe
>does not like the Fat Agnus chip.  Can anyone tell me any information
>on the subject and if there are any fellow sufferers out there?
[...]
>Craig Limber    climber@sol.UVic.CA

I have a Rev 4.2 A2000 with the 1 MB Fat Agnus, Micron 2 MB memory board,
1.3 ROMs, and a Microbotics Hardframe for my Rodime RX1500 SCSI harddisk.
Runs great, absolutely no problems, except that I have to set Maxtransfer
to 65536 (64K).  A Maxtransfer value of 128K caused R/W errors to
consistantly appear when I ran DiskPerf.  I haven't the faintest idea why.
DiskPerf still gives me 600 K/sec R/Ws though, and I have not experienced a
single R/W error (besides the initial ones) since installation in November.

--John Lee
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (04/09/90)

In article <460@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu>, bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) writes:
> In article <972@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP> climber@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (climber) writes:
> =-Hi there.  I have a microbotics hardframe controller for my SeaGate
> =-ST-277N harddrive.  I want to get the fat agnus upgrade since
> =-I keep running out of chip ram.  I am told that the hardframe
> =-does not like the Fat Agnus chip.  Can anyone tell me any information
> =-on the subject and if there are any fellow sufferers out there?
> =-
> 	Mine get along just fine.  My drive is a Q80S, though, but that
> shouldn't make any difference.
>
> =-In addition, has anyone tried the 2630 with the hardframe?
> =-
>
> 	Me too!!  :-)

Our MicroBotics HardFrame gets along just fine, thank you, with The Obese Agnus
(the 1M beastie), and just hunky with A2620s and A2630s.  I currently do all
my development on an old A2000 (small function key) machine.  A 4.2 motherboard
(which I've brought up to 4.5 myself), an A2630, Obese Agnus, HardFrame with
two different drives (currently running ST138N and a Conner CP340), an old
2052 card (yup, disgusting, ain't it), an 8-Up DIP board, and an ASDG Dual
Serial Board.  No problems.

Oh, and we tested the HardFrame with the 2630 before the 2630 ever hit the
streets.
  / "Growing old ain't for sissies!" - Bette Davis   | [- O] Rick Stevens  /
 /   ..uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick                      |   ?                /
<    ..uunet!zardoz!xyclone![sysop|root|rps2]        |   V (Consulting   <
 \    ..uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2  |   for MicroBotics) \
  \   75006.1355@compuserve.com                      +---------------------\