[comp.sys.amiga] ELITE

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (04/07/89)

	Does anybody remember the game Elite for the commodore 64 ? Well being as
Elite was my very favorite game for the 64 I was enlightened to hear that it
is available for the Atari ST and soon to be available for the Amiga... So
has anybody seen it ? I heard from some of the local Amigites that our local
users group had a working demo of it months ago and I've also heard that it
has already been released in Europe (rumor). So someone please enlighten me.
Is there any Elite for the Amiga ? And if so where can I buy it !

Hopelessly Addicted. Send replies to:

elparson@sactoh0 or ...pacbell!sactoh0!americ!erk

Later....

--
   *+  Erick Parsons  *+*    I've worked hard for everything I've Got:    +*
   *+  Sacramento     *+*  A Bad Back, Tired Blood and Noises in my Head  +*

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/12/89)

In article <0290.AA0290@americ> erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
-
-	Does anybody remember the game Elite for the commodore 64 ? Well being as
-Elite was my very favorite game for the 64 I was enlightened to hear that it
-is available for the Atari ST and soon to be available for the Amiga... So
-has anybody seen it ? I heard from some of the local Amigites that our local
-users group had a working demo of it months ago and I've also heard that it
-has already been released in Europe (rumor). So someone please enlighten me.

I have seen a game called Elite for Amiga in the shops here in Sweden, so
the rumour seems to be correct. (if it is the same game, I think it was about
space mining)

chu@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Wai Lan Chu) (04/15/89)

In article <4432@enea.se>, tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:

> I have seen a game called Elite for Amiga in the shops here in Sweden, so
> the rumour seems to be correct. (if it is the same game, I think it was about
> space mining)

Elite has been out in Britain for a while now.
Its the same game as the CBM 64 version, but with better graphics
and more missions, just as addictive as the 64 version.

Its not about space mining, but Space TRADING.
The object of the game is to warp around space trading goods, shooting
up space pirates, and avoiding the nasty thargoids.
This enables you to make credits so you can customise your ship to your
liking, eg. Military Lasers, Energy Bombs, Retros, etc., and also
increase your status from Harmless, thru Mostly Harmless, Competent, etc.,
to Elite status.

- Wai L. Chu

mdh@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Mark Holroyd) (04/16/89)

	I also have a copy of Elite for my machine and for those of you with
it too - do you know that if you use "sara" as the passwd at the beginning then
once you get into the game typing '*' puts you into an editor which enables you
to change the save-file for your commander. To get out of the editor you just
type Esc.
	My original Jameson is a little knacked up and I have no back-up so
could someone please do me a favour and mail me the output of the editor for
the default jameson !

	Muchos Thankos,

	Mark.

sanders@sun.acs.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) (04/10/90)

I remember reading in some game magazine that ELITE for the Ami has an
'editor' type panel that can be accessed at the start of the game.
Does anyone remember reading this or know anything about it?

A second question regarding the game.  Whenever I try to boot to it,
it will not play unless I type <esc> <f1> <f2> before the title screen.
Many times it won't work even then.  Symptoms are refusal to listen to the
keyboard, and the keyboard itself eventually locks up.  Ctrl-A-A resets
the machine fine.  Also, at some random point in the game, my screen dies.
I've never had this last problem with anything else before.

I have had the keyboard problem before.  When I play SubLogic's FS II I
have to type <f1> <f2> before the screen flicks color (to pink I think).
Otherwise the keyboard is ignored.  This never really bothered me.

One other thing.  I tried both these games on the dealer's Ami once I found
the problems.  It worked fine on his.  Both he and I are on A-2000's.  I
bought mine in Dec, 1987.  I know our keyboards look different.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.

                                                  Rob