[comp.sys.amiga] DungeonMaster Error

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (04/09/90)

I just got DungeonMaster.  The disk had a broken spring on
the slide cover, and it is going back for replacement.  I
have been playing with a nibbled copy.

The copy appears to work ok.  I can pick my group and make it
down into the dungeon but I have twice had the game crash
with a pseudo-alert:  DungeonMaster System Error #60.

Does anyone know what this error message means?

This has happened both on a 1.5-meg A1000 and on a 1-meg
A2000.  Both are stock 68000 otherwise.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (04/09/90)

In article <1990Apr9.022510.6395@uncecs.edu> kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) writes:

>I just got DungeonMaster.  The disk had a broken spring on
>the slide cover, and it is going back for replacement.  I
>have been playing with a nibbled copy.
>
>The copy appears to work ok.  I can pick my group and make it
>down into the dungeon but I have twice had the game crash
>with a pseudo-alert:  DungeonMaster System Error #60.
>
>Does anyone know what this error message means?
>
>This has happened both on a 1.5-meg A1000 and on a 1-meg
>A2000.  Both are stock 68000 otherwise.
>
>Ken
>--

Y'know you CAN use a disk without the shutter on it.  I've had a
couple where the spring went *sproing* (outside of my disk drives,
thankfully!) and I just removed the shutter entirely and the Amiga drives
had no trouble with them.

But at any rate, it sounds like whatever copier you used to "nibble"
your Dungeon Master original didn't do a good job at it. The game
has been out some time now and it wouldn't surprise me at all if FTL/
Software Heaven had switched copy protection schemes a couple times
to foil the nibbler-makers.

I've no idea what "Dungeon Master System Error #60" means but it
sounds like it could be the copy-protection screwing up.

At any rate, DM is _such_ an excellent game once you get yourself
wrapped up in it, do send back that broken disk and get a replacement.
This is one of a very few computer games I've ever played which gave
me much MORE than my money's worth.

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Peter Sumskas) (04/10/90)

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) writes:

>I just got DungeonMaster.  The disk had a broken spring on
>the slide cover, and it is going back for replacement.  I
>have been playing with a nibbled copy.

>The copy appears to work ok.  I can pick my group and make it
>down into the dungeon but I have twice had the game crash
>with a pseudo-alert:  DungeonMaster System Error #60.

>Does anyone know what this error message means?

>This has happened both on a 1.5-meg A1000 and on a 1-meg
>A2000.  Both are stock 68000 otherwise.

In reply to your problem, the copy protection is screwing you up. Most nibble copiers won't dent the protection on DM ... but there is a PD copier called NIB which will make a
proper back up of your DM original. I know it may be a bit late now, that you've sent it
back for replacement. Now that you know, you can back up your original when you get it back and store the original in a safe place.
                                            Regards, Alan.

vilkas@ultima.uts.cs.oz (I think ... Anyway I'm using a friend's account)

rmal@cernvax.UUCP (richard lucock) (04/10/90)

In article <17684@ultima.cs.uts.oz> vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Peter Sumskas) writes:
>In reply to your problem, the copy protection is screwing you up. Most nibble copiers won't dent the protection on DM ... but there is a PD copier called NIB which will make a
>proper back up of your DM original. I know it may be a bit late now, that you've sent it
>back for replacement. Now that you know, you can back up your original when you get it back and store the original in a safe place.
>                                            Regards, Alan.

Does anyone know where this PD utility can be found ? I have the same
problem (ie any DM backup gives error #60 in certain, apparently well
defined places).

Richard