[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with 'car'

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (04/09/90)

Has anyone managed to get 'car' to work?  Whenever I try to run it, it bombs
out complaining about some error with an AllocRaster.  I assume it is running
out of memory, but I'm not sure how to get it enough to run.  I have a 2000
with 3megs of memory, dual floppies and a hard disk.  I usually have a
fistfull of stuff running in the background (DMouse, VirusX, Pyro, etc).

I closed all my WB windows and had something like 300+K of free chip memory.
Is that not enough?  Rather than killing EVERYTHING, I'd almost just as soon
run the thing stand-alone --- assuming this IS my problem, anyone know how to
get the thing self-booting off of a floppy? [will I have to guess what
libraries, fonts, etc to put on the floppy?]

Thanks!
  /Bernie\

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (04/10/90)

On 9 Apr 90 02:59:03 GMT you said:
>Has anyone managed to get 'car' to work?  Whenever I try to run it, it bombs
>out complaining about some error with an AllocRaster.  I assume it is running
>out of memory, but I'm not sure how to get it enough to run.  I have a 2000
>with 3megs of memory, dual floppies and a hard disk.  I usually have a
>fistfull of stuff running in the background (DMouse, VirusX, Pyro, etc).

     I had the exact same problem.  I have merely 1 meg memory (that used to
 be a lot).  I hadn't tried booting off the disk, which I should probably
 do next.  I have DMouse running in the background and an 010 under the
 hood.

>Thanks!
>  /Bernie\

      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

I am an expert on all subjects, and as long as you
don't ask me any questions, you will remain convinced.

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (04/10/90)

In article <54631@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
} Has anyone managed to get 'car' to work?  Whenever I try to run it, it bombs
} out complaining about some error with an AllocRaster.  I assume it is running
} out of memory,

Well, I fiddled with it a bunch more last night and got it to run.  In
fact, it needed a LOT of chip memory.  I looked and in my normal
running system I eat about half of the stuff just with utilities,
windows, etc.  Even shutting down everything I could shut down only got
me up to around 330K, which _still_ wasn't enough.  There were still
two things left, though: the 'noclick' util [which makes your floppy
driving stop ticking] and that I"m running an interlaced workbench.  So
I made a 'miniboot' disk that booted the system, but didn't do
_anything_ except bring up a 640x200 WB (still with HD and both
floppies mounted).  _that_ got me up to around 410K of chip.  And
_that_ was enough, so I got 'car' running.  Now to push my luck and see
if I can get 'StarTrek2' to run...

  /Bernie\