[comp.sys.amiga] System Assigns

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (04/10/90)

"Binoy 'Bin' James." <BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu> writes:

> Say I boot with Disk1 and want to run say Dpaint from df1:.  Now when
> Dpaint runs it will look for fonts in df0: ie my system disk.

Actually, it is looking in FONTS:, which was assigned to DF0:FONTS when
you booted your system.

> Now if I type assign sys: df1: will it make dpaint look for fonts and
> other stuff (like libraries and devices) in df1:?

You're on the right track, but not quite there.  You need to:
     ASSIGN FONTS: DF1:FONTS
     ASSIGN L:     DF1:L
     ASSIGN DEVS:  DF1:DEVS
     ASSIGN LIBS:  DF1:LIBS
     ASSIGN C:     DF1:C

> If not is there a way to do the above?  ie: make the system think I
> booted from the disk in df1: and look for everything there?

Now, if you only want DPaint to search for the fonts on DF1, you can
play a little trick on the program as follows:

   1.  Format a disk with the name "FONTS"

   2.  Copy everything from the FONTS directory on your WB disk (and any
       other disks with FONTS directories) to this disk

   3.  Insert this disk before DPaint goes out to look for fonts.

The volume name "FONTS" will override the assignment and make a
"temporary" assignment of FONTS: to your disk.

> Can you do this from Workbench somehow?

There's a PD program called DEFDISK that will do all the assignments for
you at one time.  The syntax is "DEFDISK DF1:" for your case.  It's
available on better BBSs around the country.

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*