[comp.sys.amiga] VirusX4.0

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) (12/01/89)

If comp.binaries.amiga was at all reliable this wouldn't be a question,
because the program would have and SHOULD have been posted there.
If VirusX4.0 is REAL, then it should be made available to net.Amigans
at once. If it's a fraud, the warning should have been posted at once.
The program's too widely used in the Amiga community for this "is it
or isn't it?" stuff to go on.

When I logged over to ucbvax to get Matt Dillon's nifty new
version of DNet, I found that VirusX4.0 was in the same directory.
It includes source code, and I have looked at it, if only
briefly.  All seems to be well, but it all comes down to
whether or not you trust Matt Dillon and company at ucbvax
not to install viruses in your system ;-) ;-) ;-)
If he's been distributing viruses all these years, then
I'm sure we're all in trouble! ;-)  So, IMHO, VirusX4.0
is the Real Thing and safe for general consumption.

Dave Buchthal

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (12/03/89)

In article <6206@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
>If comp.binaries.amiga was at all reliable this wouldn't be a question,
>because the program would have and SHOULD have been posted there.
>If VirusX4.0 is REAL, then it should be made available to net.Amigans
>at once. If it's a fraud, the warning should have been posted at once.
>The program's too widely used in the Amiga community for this "is it
>or isn't it?" stuff to go on.

VirusX 4.0 is for real.  It had its world premier on People/Link
on 26 Nov. 89.

It was uploaded there by its author, Steve Tibbett (Plink: STEVEX).
He uploaded it as a LHARCed ".LZH" file. This is what's in it:

Listing of archive:  'dh1:vx40.LZH'
Original Packed Ratio  Date     Time   Type  CRC  Name
-------- ------  --- -------- -------- ----- ---- ------------
   16655  16655   0% 11-26-89 21:17:50 -lh0- FE12 KV.LZH
   24801  24801   0% 11-26-89 21:56:06 -lh0- 2F46 Source.LZH
   19016  10783  44% 11-26-89 21:48:14 -lh1- AD63 VirusX
   24155  10056  59% 11-26-89 21:32:00 -lh1- 4E40 VirusX.Docs
    2315   1291  45% 11-26-89 21:51:32 -lh1- 75DD Last_Minute.Txt
     386    149  62% 07-08-88 23:48:48 -lh1- 4F05 VirusX.info
-------- ------  ---
   87328  63735  28%       6 file(s)

So check whatever you download against that listing.. if it's
not the same then your copy has been tampered with.

[note that VirusX's icon is the same as the old verion(s) which
is why it's dated a year and a half ago in the LHARChive]

--
 Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.
 People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!hrlaser

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (01/19/90)

I hate to risk bringing up another round of VirusX 4.0 flames & claims,
but after running it quite happily on a BBS system since the day after
it was posted on Plink it's suddenly gone south on me, and I'm a bit
concerned that it could signal the presence of some unwanted guest
in the system somewhere.  Starting about a week ago, VirusX 4.0 dies
with a task held requestor immediately upon being started, whether from
startup-sequence or from a shell later. The subject system is a 1 meg
1.3 ROM, A500 with a Supra SCSI controller (not the new one) and a
ST277N.  To the best of my recollection, I didn't change anything on
the system around the time it started dying, and I almost *NEVER* test
uploaded software on the BBS system. VirusX 3.2 still runs fine, and
KV detects nothing amiss in the c: or other binary directories. Don't
see any odd named files lurking about, either, nor is anything happening
that might suggest there's a virus like unexplaied disk access, writes
to floppies, slow validation, etc.  I know there is a problem with stuff
that tries to use reserved locations, but I saw nothing for the first
month I ran the program.  Anybody have any comments, ideas, or
suggestions???

         Scott Denham
           Houston, TX
            ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com

darrell.grainger@canremote.uucp (DARRELL GRAINGER) (03/09/90)

 I had VirusX4.0 crashing on me if I started the computer with a disk in
the floppy drive. On a system that does not have a hard drive I just
could not get it going because there was always a disk in the drive on
boot up. The answer to this problem was to LoadWB before I use VirusX.

 Other then the problem with VirusX and LoadWB trying to access the disk
at the same time, I have had no problems with VirusX4.0.

Darrell
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (04/09/90)

Sorry to bother you again, but I am still looking for VirusX4.0.
there was some ftp site in Finland where 4.0 should be, but
unfortunately I (via bitftp@pucc) can't reach scandinavia.
Can someone *PLEASE* upload VirusX4.0 to /incoming/amiga on
xanth.cs.odu.edu? I can ftp from there, and others can use it
too, that way.

ThanxVeryAdvanceInMuchThanx,	Jan van Veen, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (04/10/90)

salan@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Salim Alam) writes:
>I have recently discovered that my old A1010 drive does not care
>whether the disk is write protected or not -- programs that write to
>the drive merrily write away even if the write protect tab is set...

You have a broken disk drive.  I've heard of it happening before.  Generally
it's because something (lint, dust, peanut butter) has gotten inside the
drive and is covering the light sensor that can "see" when the disk is write
protected.

If the disk drive says the disk is write protected, you *can't* write to it.
At all.  Ever.  Your disk drive lied to the computer, so the computer felt
obligated to write to your write-protected floppy.

John M. Olsen, Graphics Software Engineer
olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM  -or-  ...!hplabs!hpfcdq!olsen
(W) Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525