[comp.sys.amiga] Postscript fonts?

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (04/08/90)

Does anyone know how much Adobe fonts cost?  Does anyone know
how much Compugraphic fonts cost, and how they compare to the Postscript
ones?

Thanks...

In article <9004080017.AA04093@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>Does anyone know how much Adobe fonts cost?  Does anyone know
>how much Compugraphic fonts cost, and how they compare to the Postscript
>ones?

Adobe fonts list for $145-$185 (4 typefaces), $370 (9 typefaces). A few fonts
with less than 4 typefaces list for $99.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

bigbroth@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (James M. Coleman) (04/09/90)

From article <9004080017.AA04093@jade.berkeley.edu>, by GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie):

> Does anyone know how much Adobe fonts cost?  Does anyone know
> how much Compugraphic fonts cost, and how they compare to the Postscript
> ones?
>
> Thanks...

Gold Disk sells a collection of compugraphic fonts for $199.95. The collection
consists of 35 variations of the following:

CS ITC Avant Garde Gothic, CS ITC Bookman, CS Century Schoolbook, CS Courier,
CS Palacio, CS Symbol, CS Times, CS Triumvirate, CS Zapf Chancery and
CS Zapf Dingbats (no it's not a typo).

A utility is included to create a standard Amiga bitmap font from any size
of the Compugraphic fonts.

The price is 99.95 if you buy them when you register Pro Page 1.3.

Does anybody know which if any Compugraphic fonts will be released with
WB 1.3?

                                      Jim Coleman

oleg@pnet01.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) (04/09/90)

Has anybody gotten Post1.1 to work with regular postscript files? I'm having
serious problems trying to get it to print files created with ProPage1.3 and
PageStream1.6. I'd like to know which one of these might work with Post?

To the person wondering about Adobe fonts... There are several excellent
sources of shareware/PD postscript fonts, so if you're not looking for brand
names, that might be the way to go. Try Mac BBSs and user group libraries.
 OR
* THOSE DO NOT GET SERVED WHO ONLY SIT AND WAIT.        | Post no bills     |*

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!oleg
ARPA: crash!pnet01!oleg@nosc.mil
INET: oleg@pnet01.cts.com

maffett@netcom.UUCP (Tim Maffett) (04/10/90)

In article <9004080017.AA04093@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>Does anyone know how much Adobe fonts cost?  Does anyone know
>how much Compugraphic fonts cost, and how they compare to the Postscript
>ones?
>
>Thanks...

   Adobe fonts range in price from 95 to 370 $, depending on the font, but most
fall in the range of 145-185.  The cheapest way to get the 35 standard
PostScript fonts from Adobe is to buy the Adobe Type Manager (13 fonts), plus
the ATM Plus package (22 more fonts).  The total cost for these two packages
is $298 list, but can be had for about $150 or less from most mac mail order
places.  These are Type 1 fonts (hinted) (POST (Adrian Aylward's PS interp
will support Type 1 fonts in a future version).
   You would need to use Mac-2-Dos or some other transfer mechanism to get
the font files into the Amiga.  I have written a utility (mAPost) which
will convert mac POST resource files (Adobe font files, Bitstream fonts,...)
to amiga file formats.

  The Compugraphic fonts are very high quality.  The Postscript fonts which
Gold Disk's font creater program produces are Type 3 fonts however, so
they are not hinted.  If you create bitmap fonts using the font creater
program it does produce very nice (WELL hinted) fonts at small point sizes.
The Compugraphic fonts are hinted (much better than Adobe's IHMO), but
you can only access this ability with the Gold Disk package by
  1) creating amiga bitmap fonts.
  2) Use ProPage or other Gold Disk products to do the printing.

tim

replies to maffett@netcom or maffett@uther.cs.orst.edu

In article <2155@crash.cts.com> oleg@pnet01.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>Has anybody gotten Post1.1 to work with regular postscript files? I'm having
>serious problems trying to get it to print files created with ProPage1.3 and
>PageStream1.6. I'd like to know which one of these might work with Post?
>
>To the person wondering about Adobe fonts... There are several excellent
>sources of shareware/PD postscript fonts, so if you're not looking for brand
>names, that might be the way to go. Try Mac BBSs and user group libraries.
> OR
>* THOSE DO NOT GET SERVED WHO ONLY SIT AND WAIT.        | Post no bills     |*
>
>UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!oleg
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!oleg@nosc.mil
>INET: oleg@pnet01.cts.com

   Post 1.1 should work with just about ANY ps file which works with a real
laserwriter (assuming you have the fonts).  Post works MUCH better with lots
of memory though (3+ Megs), often problems are related to running out of
memory.
   If anyone has a postscript file which will not work with post 1.0 or
post 1.1, please mail me the PS file, with some text telling me about
your machine (memory,...), and the version of Post, and the problem you
are having.  If I am able to reproduce the problem then I will make sure
that Adrian Aylward (the author of Post) gets a report of the specific
problem (so he can fix it :).  I will get back to you on the status of
the problem, and what Adrian has to say about it.
   If I cannot reproduce the problem then its not a problem ;), no actually
I will get back to you and see if we can narrow down what the differences
between our environments is.

   so please, send me you bug reports.

blatter@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (04/10/90)

In article <2155@crash.cts.com> oleg@pnet01.cts.com (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>Has anybody gotten Post1.1 to work with regular postscript files? I'm having
>serious problems trying to get it to print files created with ProPage1.3 and
>PageStream1.6. I'd like to know which one of these might work with Post?

Post1.1 works without problems with PageStream 1.8 files. PageStream
unfortunately produces CTRL-M characters at the end of each line. Those
control characters have to be deleted to get postscript files to work
with post1.0. If you do not have any type 3 fonts for post be careful
only to use the following fonts within PageStream-documents:
	University Roman, Colombia, Artistic, Creative, Oriental
or any other font that has a '.ps'-file. The definition of these fonts
is automatically included in the postscript code by Pagestream.
Helvetica and Times have NO '.ps'-files !!!
If you use more than two different fonts, you'll probably have to
increase the size of posts's VM.

		--Martin

|         ///    Martin A. Blatter                                      |
|        ///     University of Zurich, department of Computer Science   |
|       ///      Switzerland (Europe)                                   |
|    \XX/        Internet: blatter@ifi.unizh.ch                         |