[comp.sys.amiga] Dungeon Master protection

danbabcock@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (04/11/90)

Ken Steele wrote in <1990Apr9.022510.6395@uncecs.edu>:

> I just got DungeonMaster.  The disk had a broken spring on
> the slide cover, and it is going back for replacement.  I
> have been playing with a nibbled copy.
>
> The copy appears to work ok.  I can pick my group and make it
> down into the dungeon but I have twice had the game crash
> with a pseudo-alert:  DungeonMaster System Error #60.
>
> Does anyone know what this error message means?

Dungeon Master uses the protection scheme known as weak bits. That means
that some bits on the protection track are not supposed to be consistantly
read as a 1 or a 0. DM reads the protection track periodically during
gameplay (most often when changing levels). If some of the bits (it is
quite picky about which ones) are weak, then all is well. If, however,
after several reads it still gets consistant results, it displays that
"error #60" message. I uploaded a patch on People/Link called DMPATCH.LZH
that removes the protection and permits hard disk installation.

-- Dan Babcock / voice (412)-373-1753