[comp.sys.amiga] Verbosity and quoted old news

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (04/10/90)

I enjoy reading comp.sys.amiga, but I am annoyed by many new
articles which consist of long slabs of quoted articles and cute
or silly one liners and long signatures.  If you must do a lot
of quoting, could you please warn readers in the header or in the
body of the article?  For example, use the ^L code (formfeed or
whatever is appropriate) and give readers a chance to decide
whether to read your article.  If authors wish to insult each
other, do it using email or *.flame, not in the general newsgroup.

I am just an average programmer who wants a bit of light reading
during lunch, so I do not like wading through pages of repeated
text and wasting my time.  I appeal to authors to show some
restraint and consider who the readers of their work will be
before sending an article or a follow up.

What do other readers feel about this matter?

-----------------------------------
Soh, Kam Hung
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (04/10/90)

In article <1294@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>I enjoy reading comp.sys.amiga, but I am annoyed by many new
>articles which consist of long slabs of quoted articles and cute
>or silly one liners and long signatures.  If you must do a lot
>of quoting, could you please warn readers in the header or in the

[Stuff Deleted]

>What do other readers feel about this matter?
>
>-----------------------------------
>Soh, Kam Hung
>Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
>email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403

I agree with you!

(Sorry, I just Couldn't Resist! :-)

Alex C. Liu                   | INTERNET: acliu%skat@usc.edu
Voice: (213) 749-2730         | BITNET: acliu%skat@gamera
Q-Link: Alejandro             | UUCP: ...!usc!acliu

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (04/11/90)

In article <1294@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>I am just an average programmer who wants a bit of light reading
>during lunch, so I do not like wading through pages of repeated
>text and wasting my time.  I appeal to authors to show some
>restraint and consider who the readers of their work will be
>before sending an article or a follow up.
>
>What do other readers feel about this matter?

I feel exactly the opposite.  If I see a message which is obviously a followup
to a previous one, and I can't tell what the referenced message was about in
the first few lines, I chuck it.  Unless the message is a general comment on a
major thread of conversation, or the author paraphrases the referenced message,
I have better things to do with my time than try to dig back through one of
the hundreds of messages I've read in the past couple days.  If I want light
reading I'll read the newspaper, but I read Usenet for information.  (This is
not a flame of any sort; I'm merely pointing out that some people have
different ideas of "light reading" :-)

I would agree, though, that including over a page of quoted material without
a single comment on it is pretty absurd, it's doubtful that much context
information is needed, unless it's a VERY heavy concept.  And then, of course,
there are those people who insist on quoting the entire article verbatim and
tack on a "I think this is a good idea, too" at the end or something; these
people should be forced to read Apple press releases until they can do it with a
straight face.

 -Chris
--
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu