[comp.sys.amiga] 1.8meg expansion for A500

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (04/11/90)

Marc askes:
> org%"marc@altitude.cam.org"      "Marc Boucher" 11-APR-1990 09:17:27.96
>
>       A friend of mine would like to know if any of you have any experience
> with the Intronics ProRAM 1.8 meg internal expansion card.
>
>               thanks..

        I think those 1.8 meg expansion boards are quite expensive for what
they do. This 1.8 meg will always be on the AGNUS BUS, and therefore be slow!
because the CPU will have to acces it trough agnus.
Although it will be called FASTMEM (just as regular C00000 memory).
External memory is cheaper(if you have, or will get a harddrive),
and faster. Also external is expandable with cheap, fast, SIMMS.

Nils Gokemeijer
(NJ_GOKEM@FANDM.BITNET)

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (04/12/90)

In article <16531@snow-white.udel.EDU>, NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> Marc askes:
>> org%"marc@altitude.cam.org"      "Marc Boucher" 11-APR-1990 09:17:27.96
>>
>>       A friend of mine would like to know if any of you have any experience
>> with the Intronics ProRAM 1.8 meg internal expansion card.
>>
>         I think those 1.8 meg expansion boards are quite expensive for what
> they do. This 1.8 meg will always be on the AGNUS BUS, and therefore be slow!

        But this is exactly what you want when C= release the 2 meg Agnes. Take
a look at the memory map in your owners manual. The first 2 megs are CHIP ram.
All that's left is for C= to start making Agnes with a 2 meg address space,
instead of the current 1 meg Agnes. I would have replaced the 256 x 1 Kbit
chips in my A501 with 1024 x 1 chips over a year ago if it hadn't been for the
fact that the chips in the A501 had a "non-standard" number of pins. The
thought of all those bus contentions doesn't bother me as I don't need maximum
performance, just lots of memory :).

PS.     I'm still waiting to here from people running news and/or telnet on
their amiga.

           Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                      Alias: Gareth Bull, The Opal Dragon
           ---------> " If I said it, then *I* said it! " <----------