[comp.sys.amiga] Yet another reply to a mac user

91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David) (04/12/90)

>Subject: Re: Amiga mentality (with some questions)
>From: steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green)
>Date: 5 Apr 90 00:09:01 GMT

>>If the Mac is *THE* DTP system, then why weren't they the first computers to
>>be used to publish an internationally distributed magazine?  INFO magazine was
>>the first magazine EVER published entirely on personal computers...not the
>>first computer mag, the first magazine ever.  Several Amiga specific magazines
>>are now done in a similar fashion.

>And???  What is the point??

	I think his point (without introducing flames) was that the Amiga was
one of the first DTP systems, and that it does it quite well, with very good
output, and it's getting better all the time.

>>Partly because you couldn't process color seps on any other PC at the time,
>>not even the mac.  The Mac can finally do it now that Aldus has released a
>>$600 module for use with Pagemaker.  We have vector based draw programs...we
>>even have programs that will generate 3-D postscript files, and structured
>>clip-art.

>So??  Are you saying that the Mac cant produce vector based clip art either
>in Postscript or Quickdraw??  Exactly, what are you saying??

	Keep your pants on! Clearly, he was responding to implications made by
another person expousing The Word Of Macintosh as if the Amiga was incapable of
doing anything of the sort.

>>Your "color doesn't matter" attitude was hogwash years ago, and is
>>still hogwash...until the Mac had color, it's users didn't think it was
>>necessary.  There are still arguements as to whether or not multitasking is
>>usefull...well, how would thknow, they don't have it.

>Yep... you are correct.  The "color doesn't matter" attitude was hogwash.
>But you need to remember that when the Mac came out, a color Mac 128 or 512
>would have made the machine another "Lisa".  A machine too expensive for

	At the risk of falling into the category of Amiga fanatic/mac basher
(which at times I can be, but there is already too much here), The Amiga had
these color abilities at the time of the Mac 128 at an affordable price,
clearly the superior technology at that time.

>Agreed that the mac hardware has lagged behind in SOME areas but not on others.

	The same applies for Amiga.

>As far as Unix..  I saw beta Commodore Unix the same day I saw Beta AUX 2.0
>(at UNIFORUM).  Anybody care to know what I think??  I did not think so. ;-)

	I heard it was an exact reprentation of the Sun Unix and complies to
the AT&T Unix - the MOST RECENT RELEASE.  Further I have heard some opinions on
the AUX 2.0, do you want to hear them?  I didn't think so.

>An now for the questions:  (NOT flames)
>	What is commodore doing with hardware and OS??

	Lots.  OS 1.4 will have all sorts of goodies, It should be out before
summer.  The Amiga 3000 should be equivalent in many ways to Mac IIfx,
according to rumor, including a 24-bit color board - again, rumor.  C= has
announced several networking boards.  The 3000 will have a C= built onboard
flicker-fixer, last I heard.

>	Is there any (plan for) IPC??

	If you mean inter-process communication, the Amiga has had that since
its introduction in 1985, unless I'm seriously mis-informed.  This is part of
how our multitasking works so well.

>	What is the current network standard protocol??  Cable??

	I'm not sure what you mean, here.  Are you referring to TCP, LAN,
Appletalk and such?  C= is releasing several networking boards, and _rumor_ has
it that appletalk will be supported.

>	What is the memory limitation? (If any)

	Since 1985, it has had a 9 meg limit, I believe with the new 680xx
chips it's unlimited.  I know 1.4 will support unlimited memory expansion, but
I doubt it can be fit into the computer :)

>	What size/style screens are available??

	Currently: 320x200 4096 colors
		   320x400 4096 colors   interlace
		   640x200 32? 		 norm
		   640x400 16?		 interlace

	with 1.4:  in addition to the above, I THINK:
		   640x400 16? 4?	"productivity mode"
		   1200x800 ???

>	Does software have to "support" individual hard drives/screens/etc..?

	Of course not!  All memory and peripherals are Auto-config on boot-up.

--
#DEFINE std.disclaimers

Dave Bicking         	       Single Tasking????? Just say NO!!!!
Union College Box 152          91_bickingd@union.bitnet
Schenectady, NY 12308          91_bickingd@gar.union.edu	    //
		      						  \X/  Amiga