[comp.sys.amiga] Who posts to this newsgroup?

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (03/28/90)

Who posts to comp.sys.amiga?

There are the people who love the Amiga, consider it the greatest
thing since sliced bread, spit on the Mac and IBM PC, and worship
at the shrine of the original custom-chip tower.  These are the
most vocal defenders of the Amiga.  They take cheap shots at other
computers, basing their claims on rumors or hearsay.

There are the people who purchased the Amiga, love it, but are
worried that more powerful, faster machines are available, no matter
what the price, and are always pissed off at Commodore for `falling
behind'.  These are the people behind most of the flames.

Then there are the people who use the Amiga to quietly get work done.
Usually softspoken, they simply choose the machine that suits them the
best and don't get involved in competition over which machine is better.
Confident, secure in their decision, they are the backbone of the group,
providing the technical information and assistance that keep people
reading.

Where do you honestly see yourself?

-tom

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.201343.20122@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Who posts to comp.sys.amiga?
>
>There are the people who love the Amiga, consider it the greatest
>thing since sliced bread, spit on the Mac and IBM PC, and worship
>at the shrine of the original custom-chip tower.  These are the
>most vocal defenders of the Amiga.  They take cheap shots at other
>computers, basing their claims on rumors or hearsay.
>
>There are the people who purchased the Amiga, love it, but are
>worried that more powerful, faster machines are available, no matter
>what the price, and are always pissed off at Commodore for `falling
>behind'.  These are the people behind most of the flames.

I'm worried that more powerful, faster machines are available and that the
price advantage is continually eroding, albeit fairly slowing at the moment.
I don't think I've ever been pissed off at Commodore, though, except for  one
stretch in 1986, when I didn't have net.access anyway.  Any flames from here
are directed at the Barretts of the world...

>Then there are the people who use the Amiga to quietly get work done.
>Usually softspoken, they simply choose the machine that suits them the
>best and don't get involved in competition over which machine is better.
>Confident, secure in their decision, they are the backbone of the group,
>providing the technical information and assistance that keep people
>reading.

I try not to get involved in those kinds of competitions, except when I see
falsehoods being thrown around as truth.  I try to help when I can, but I
spend most of my time learning, and I don't think I qualify as a member of
the "backbone" of the group.  (OTOH, I don't think I'm part of its
Achilles' heel, either.)

>Where do you honestly see yourself?

Humorous response: In a mirror, of course, Tom.
Serious response: Part way between case 2 and case 3, hopefully with an
emphasis on the facts and not on either pro- or anti-Amiga zealousness.

>-tom

 -Chris
--
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu

muenx@heike.uucp (Holger Muenx) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.201343.20122@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Who posts to comp.sys.amiga?
[...]

Very good question.

Let's start a new group -- comp.sys.amiga.senseless-discussion -- to split
the real useful articles from the rest which nobody wants to read. I don't
like to look through about one hundred articles every day if there's maybe
one which contains real information while the rest says only "Our Amiga is
the very best".

                                                   -Holger

     Holger Muenx                 muenx@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
     IRB, UniDo
     4600 Dortmund                  "My opinions are shareware. Send $10
     West-Germany                    if you like them."

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/29/90)

In article <2071@laura.UUCP> muenx@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Holger Muenx) writes:
>Let's start a new group -- comp.sys.amiga.senseless-discussion -- to split
>the real useful articles from the rest which nobody wants to read.

Already done, it's called comp.sys.amiga.  The good stuff is in
comp.sys.amiga.tech.  (1/2 :-)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (04/12/90)

> Then there are people who use the Amiga to quietly get work done...they
> are the backbone of the group...

Sorry, it's not enough.  Then there are those of us who drag our Amigas
around, giving demos, explaining the technology, getting no compensation
for our time and efforts.  We contribute to (and start) users' groups, write
for newsletters and magazines, write letters to editors when publications
spout lies and misinformation, who correct sales personnel who spout more
lies and misinformation.  We help users who call us at 11:00 pm because their
hard drives have crashed and they have a deadline ...  We teach them to
install their software, we teach them to use their software.  Still no
compensation, just sharing skills and helping ...

I also have other computers, 4 different kinds.  I am NOT willing to hand
out advice and information without having thoroughly tested and USED those
other computers.  No hearsay coming out of my mouth.  If I flame them, I
make darned sure I know what I'm talking about.  And having used them makes
me more of an Amiga advocate than ever.

I use my Amiga to get work done.  A LOT of work.  It's my sole source of
income.  But you can be DARNED sure I'm not going to do it quietly.  So
your post hit close to home.  If all the people who have gone out of their
way to spread the word, start the groups, write the letters and articles
had been quiet instead, I truly don't think Ami would have survived.
                                                  LadyHawke