[comp.sys.amiga] GIF to IFF program available?

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (04/11/90)

People have been suggesting several programs for GIF to IFF conversion.
I thought I would mention that the original poster wanted programs that
would convert 640x480 256 color GIFs.  I have used GIF2IFF, and HamSharp,
and they would both often crash on images of this size, and allways on
images larger than this.  I had over 700k free fastmem, 350k free chip mem,
so I am not sure what the problem with these programs was, except I don't
think I ran out of memory.

The quality of output from HamSharp though was by far the most pleasing.

barry@netcom.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (04/11/90)

In article <9004102003.AA11921@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>People have been suggesting several programs for GIF to IFF conversion.
>I thought I would mention that the original poster wanted programs that
>would convert 640x480 256 color GIFs.  I have used GIF2IFF, and HamSharp,
>and they would both often crash on images of this size, and allways on
>images larger than this.  I had over 700k free fastmem, 350k free chip mem,
>so I am not sure what the problem with these programs was, except I don't
>think I ran out of memory.

	Odd. I've been using HamSharp as my converter of choice for
quite a while, now, and have converted many GIFS that are 640x480
or larger - no crashes. It would die when handed a corrupt GIF file,
but don't forget HamSharp's best feature - it comes with source
code. It can easily be altered to successfuly convert a corrupt
GIF up to the point the corruption occurs, and not to halve the
width of 640-wide GIFs when converting to HAM.

	The amount of memory you mention should be adequate.
Could it be a memory fragmentation or stack size problem?

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                Kenn Barry
ELECTRIC AVENUE:	                  apple!netcom!barry

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (04/11/90)

In some article GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
> I have used GIF2IFF, and HamSharp, and they would both often crash on
> images of this size, and allways on images larger than this.  I had
> over 700k free fastmem, 350k free chip mem, so I am not sure what the
> problem with these programs was, except I don't think I ran out of memory.

Make sure your Stacksize is big enough. Stack 20000 is usually a nice size.

				Jan van Veen, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl

andrewt@watnow.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (04/12/90)

In article <10797@netcom.UUCP> barry@netcom.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>In article <9004102003.AA11921@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>>People have been suggesting several programs for GIF to IFF conversion.
>
>	Odd. I've been using HamSharp as my converter of choice for

Where might I find gif2iff and hamsharp?  are they PD, shareware,
commercial?

Thanks in advance
--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watnow.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (04/12/90)

Yes, I was asking for a program to convert to Dyna-Hires mode because it is
the RESOLUTION I am most concerned with...

I have HamSharp, Gif2IFF, VirtGif, etc..  (I have to I run a BBS)

I want to keep the 640x480 pics as 640x480, I know this is not a problem,
it is just a matter of someone who knows enough about NewTek's code to
crank it out....

I thank all who have responded...

Still, please, if anyone has the ability to write this, I'm sure many would
be willing to register ($$$) their shareware, copies...

I did get a reply from someone who said they could write it if the price is
right, but I've not heard from them again...

Thanks all....

-Leon