[comp.sys.amiga] One of the worst Amiga programs ever--Manx SDB

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) (04/10/90)

	Well, Manx has stuck it to us Amiga C users again.

	When they came out with their symbolic debugger SDB, it cost
~$75 and couldn't even properly display the values of such primitive
variable types as "floats".  In fact, it had trouble displaying array
variables at all.  So, here it is, more than a year later and
finally, months after the stated release date, they come out with an
upgrade.  The "upgraded" SDB can display floats, but still has trouble
with array variables and, worst of all, crashes A LOT!  In
fact, I think it is safe to say that most programs that one wishes to
debug with it probably have fewer bugs in it than the debugger.

	What does Manx say?  Well, they say that they are working on
another upgrade and in the mean time I could use the old version of
the debugger!!  I hope I live long enough to see their next
downgrade...errr....upgrade--after all I'm already 30.

	What can I do about crap like this?  They've taken my money
and haven't given me even a decent program, and it's worse after the
upgrade!! I'm tired of waiting for them to get their act together.

	Does anyone feel the same way I do?

	Richard

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (04/11/90)

In article <7116@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:
>	What can I do about crap like this?  They've taken my money
>and haven't given me even a decent program, and it's worse after the
>upgrade!! I'm tired of waiting for them to get their act together.
>
>	Does anyone feel the same way I do?

Maybe somewhere, but not here!  :-)  I have found SDB to be more stable than,
say, CPR, which I find crashing occasionally on perfectly acceptable statements,
and exhibiting all manner of strange behavior.  And both SDB and CPR are
infinitely more powerful than the stuff I "get" to work with at work, CodeView
and MultiScope.  I would kill for the chance to play with an OS/2 version of
EITHER SDB or CPR.

Disclaimer: I do not beat heavily on my debuggers, preferring other debugging
techniques, so I may not have uncovered the same bugs that others who rely
more heavily on debuggers have.

>	Richard

 -Chris
--
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (04/11/90)

In article <7116@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:
>	Does anyone feel the same way I do?

No, I can't say that I do.  SDB has saved me hundreds of hours of debugging
time; I use it every day.

If you want to use it with floating point, you have to use the right libraries.

If you don't want it to crash, don't compile with optimization.  That is
documented.

Also, don't resize the window during startup until SDB has finished writing
to it for the first time.  Bogus, admittedly, but hardly fatal.

Granted, it's not perfect, and it does have some problems with arrays, although
that seems to be more with command-line-specified indexes -- it doesn't always
get the index right, so you have to go 0, 2, 4, instead of 0, 1, 2, but... one
of the worst programs ever on the Amiga???  Hardly.  In my book, as a
developer, despite its flaws, one of the most useful ever.

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl   "I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know." -- Emerson
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) (04/11/90)

> Maybe somewhere, but not here!  :-)  I have found SDB to be more stable than,
> say, CPR, which I find crashing occasionally on perfectly acceptable statements,
> and exhibiting all manner of strange behavior.  And both SDB and CPR are
> infinitely more powerful than the stuff I "get" to work with at work, CodeView

Which version of Lattice were you working with?  I have 5.05, and no problems
so far with CPR.  It's been rock solid.  Also remember that when you add some
debugging code to a program, you change the program itself.  The only crashing
I've seen come while debugging is from a word alignment error.  The code
looked just fine, but I had made a stupid error of trying to align an integer
on an odd address.

If you have some examples which you know will cause the thing to crash, let me
know.  I want to try them out.

Happy computing,
Chris Everhart
chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu
weverha@hubcap.clemson.edu

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) (04/12/90)

In article <5557@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <7116@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:
>>	Does anyone feel the same way I do?
>
>No, I can't say that I do.  SDB has saved me hundreds of hours of debugging
>time; I use it every day.
>
>If you want to use it with floating point, you have to use the right libraries.

	I've been very careful about using just the libraries they
tell me to use in the manual.  Besides, I'm not having trouble with
floating point anymore--that was the one shortcoming they seemed to
have fixed in this update.

>If you don't want it to crash, don't compile with optimization.  That is
>documented.

	I don't compile with optimization.  The only switches I use
are to indicate the name of the precompiled include file, to invoke
QuickFix, and to compile the program for SDB.

>Also, don't resize the window during startup until SDB has finished writing
>to it for the first time.  Bogus, admittedly, but hardly fatal.

	I don't normally touch the window, although about 35% of the
time if I waited for SDB to finish writing to it for the first time I
would die in front of the screen since it bombs out even before
writing to the window.

>Granted, it's not perfect, and it does have some problems with arrays, although
>that seems to be more with command-line-specified indexes -- it doesn't always
>get the index right, so you have to go 0, 2, 4, instead of 0, 1, 2, but... one
>of the worst programs ever on the Amiga???  Hardly.  In my book, as a
>developer, despite its flaws, one of the most useful ever.

	Well, maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right and maybe I'm
using it at the wrong time of day and maybe I'm wearing the wrong
color shirt.  But seriously, I got used to using Microsoft's CodeView
on an IBM AT and it always seem to work perfectly.  But with SDB I
just feel like I'm treading on thin ice and I discover new bugs
every time I use it (assuming it runs at all).  Someone just e-mailed
me telling me that it doesn't correctly print out unsigned shorts,
either.  In fact, Manx admits SDB has a lot of bugs--they told to me
use the old version until they could fix the new one!

--Richard

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (04/12/90)

In article <7116@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:
> 	Well, Manx has stuck it to us Amiga C users again.
>
> 	When they came out with their symbolic debugger SDB, it cost
> ~$75 and couldn't even properly display the values of such primitive
> variable types as "floats".  In fact, it had trouble displaying array
> variables at all.> 	What can I do about crap like this?  They've taken my money
> and haven't given me even a decent program, and it's worse after the
> upgrade!! I'm tired of waiting for them to get their act together.

[stuff deleted...]

> 	Does anyone feel the same way I do?
>
> 	Richard

I do.  I've never used SDB.  I can't stand it.  I use MetaScope.  MUCH better,
and can help debug concurrent tasks.
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \
|    V   | uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick             (<-- Work (ugh!))             |
|--------+ uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop           (<-- Home Unix (better!))     |
|  uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2  (<-- Home Amiga (Best!!)      |
 \ 75006.1355@compuserve.com (CIS: 75006,1355)  (<-- CI$)                    /
"I bought some instant water, but didn't know what to add."
                                 - Steven Wright