[comp.sys.amiga] Multiple Paula Chips

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (04/12/90)

   Several years ago, there were many projects produced for the C64 and
C128 that added as many as two additional SID chips to the system.  This
resulted in three sound channels and nine voices, which was not bad for
an 8-bit system.  There were also versions of some FreeWare music
software written to use these extra sound chips.

   Does anyone know if the Amiga's architecture would permit, say,
multiple Paula or Denise chips to be added to the system?  I have
my doubts about this, because of the complex system of interrupts
between the three chips, but it might be worth a shot.  If an extra
Paula chip could be added to the system, the result would be an extra
four voices and one additional serial port (among other things).

   This question may have come up before, but I haven't seen it
if it has.  Since I can't get comp.sys.amiga.hardware, I don't get
to see most of the answers to questions of this sort.

                                    -MB-

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (04/12/90)

In article <16554@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   Several years ago, there were many projects produced for the C64 and
>C128 that added as many as two additional SID chips to the system. [...]
>   Does anyone know if the Amiga's architecture would permit, say,
>multiple Paula or Denise chips to be added to the system?

I don't think so, there must be some provisions in the DMA-channels
(Agnus) that allows to retrieve more data for additional channels.

The C64 multi-SID devices had their disadvantages. It was 'MUCH' noise
introduced into the audio signal.

I'd say, a cheap MIDI extender plus some software to use the internal
channels as a virtual MIDI device should be the better solution.

--
Michael van Elst
p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de