[comp.sys.amiga] Shadow of the Beast Cheat

wakres01@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B) (04/11/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Apr5145819@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>> Well, since you just got through asking why so many Amiga games crash, and
>> now you're asking about Shadow of the Beast, I'll take this opportunity to
>> ask if anyone out there knows why SotB crashes on my 1000?  It works OK on
>> a friend's 2000, and I know of several other people who have trouble running
>> it on 1000s (as well as many who don't).
>
>Do you (or they) have 68010's in your A1000's?  I do, and that's why I
>haven't bought it -- it won't run on a 68010.

 Shadow of the Beast won't work on my 1000 because of the copy protection.
It only boots up about 30% of the time.  What really irritates me is that
someone told me they had a cracked copy that worked fine on their 1000 !!!

And psygnosis complains about piracy, while it may be the only way to get
their software to work! (I'm not advocating piracy, but it IS irritating)

John B Stelly III
wakres01@pa.usl.edu

pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (04/11/90)

John Stelly III writes:
>Shadow of the Beast won't work on my 1000 because of the copy protection.
>It only boots up about 30% of the time.  What really irritates me is that
>someone told me they had a cracked copy that worked fine on their 1000 !!!

>And psygnosis complains about piracy, while it may be the only way to get
>their software to work! (I'm not advocating piracy, but it IS irritating)

I had a similar problem with Ballistix.  Is it my imagination or does
Psygnosis go so overboard with copy protection that they make their games
run marginally on anything other than "stock" machines.

Ray Pfaff
pfaff@europa.asd.contel.com

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (04/11/90)

In article <6526@rouge.usl.edu>, wakres01@pa.usl.edu (Stelly John B) writes:

>  Shadow of the Beast won't work on my 1000 because of the copy protection.
> It only boots up about 30% of the time.  What really irritates me is that
> someone told me they had a cracked copy that worked fine on their 1000 !!!

For a long time, the only version of DPaint that used a PAL screen was a
pirated, reverse engineered version.

> And psygnosis complains about piracy, while it may be the only way to get
> their software to work! (I'm not advocating piracy, but it IS irritating)

I guess these companies really leave the door open by making poorly
functioning versions that a very easy to fix.

Regards Alan

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (04/13/90)

*In article <1990Apr4.220228.675@caen.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
*>Well, since you just got through asking why so many Amiga games crash, and
*>now you're asking about Shadow of the Beast, I'll take this opportunity to
*>ask if anyone out there knows why SotB crashes on my 1000?  It works OK on
*>a friend's 2000, and I know of several other people who have trouble running
*>it on 1000s (as well as many who don't).  Has anyone heard of any problems
*>with it, and do you think a different copy would work  better?  (I don't
*>know anyone else around here with the game, and our dealer is out of stock, so I
*>haven't been able to try it.)

>Thanks...
>
> -Chris

     I have had trouble getting SotB working on my Amiga also. However,
  a friend of mine has an A1000 which can RUN SotB!!!

     Being naturally curious, I opened both A1000s and swapped some chips.
  I found that one of the three special chips was causing the problem.
  Paula, Denise, or Agnes. I had to return my friends computer before I could
  narrow it down further, but, that should get you headed in the right
  direction.

     Don W.

*    Don White                          *
*    Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177 * <The patented Don White mini-sig>
*    zehntel!donw                       *