[comp.sys.amiga] Re-inking ribbon

jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) (04/12/90)

One method of 're-inking' your printer ribbon has been around quite
a while.  You have probably noticed that you only print on the
center 1/3 - 1/2 of the ribbon.  That means the ink in the surrounding
fabric does not get used.  Well here is a way you can put all that
extra ink to work.

Carefully (I MEAN VERY CAREFULLY) open the printer ribbon cartridge,
taking care not to disturb the ribbon or lose any washers or separators.
Liberally spray the exposed edge of the ribbon with WD-40.  Taking care
not to misplace any loose guides, washers, separators or other strange
paraphernalia reclose the cartridge and set aside in a sealed plastic bag
for about a week.

After a week you will find your ribbon prints like new, and has almost
as much print life as it originally had.

Has anyone had adverse affects using this method?  I have tried it on
a number of occasions with no apparent ill effect.  Your milage may
vary!

Of course this can only be done one or two times before all the ink
from the un-used portions of the fabric has been re-distributed.
But the price of a little WD-40 once or twice is certainly less than
a new ribbon or two.

Regards, Jerry Whitman - keeper of the FishXref and FishCon.

rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (04/13/90)

In article <9004121159.AA18063@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>One method of 're-inking' your printer ribbon has been around quite
>Liberally spray the exposed edge of the ribbon with WD-40.
>
>Has anyone had adverse affects using this method?  I have tried it on
>a number of occasions with no apparent ill effect.  Your milage may
>vary!
>Regards, Jerry Whitman - keeper of the FishXref and FishCon.

I've heard this may leave a gummy residue on the print head, making
cleaning necessary.  Is this true? I'd really like to know.

                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.