[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga+Sharp JX100 Scanner Experience

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (04/09/90)

A related question on the JX-100.  What can it do with transparencies?  In
particular, normal 35mm slides?

I have been thinking about an application that would building an on-line
catalog of slides.  This would most likely want a storage mode like HAM or one
of the other smaller storage formats.  There are obvious uses for any mode up
through 24 bit per pixel too of course.

Does the JX-100 technology allow scanning transparencies?

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (04/11/90)

In article <5649@lmrc.uucp> hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:
>A related question on the JX-100.  What can it do with transparencies?  In
>particular, normal 35mm slides?
>
>Does the JX-100 technology allow scanning transparencies?

Nope, not at all. It wasn't designed to. Unlike some other brand scanners
and some of Sharp's own larger models, the scanhead on the JX100
doesn't face "up" and there's no cover, so there's no flatbed on which
to lay a transparency under a cover.

Per a copy of Sharp's product and retail price list dated 1/1/90 which
I have here, you'd have to go to a JX-450 scanner @ $6995.00 retail
plus a CX500T1 Transparency Unit for JX-450 (only) @ $500.00 retail
to have this capability.

This is not to say that sometime within the near future Sharp may not come
out with some other small personal color scanner similar to, or a revised
version of the JX-100 with increased capabilities.  A Sharp rep I spoke
to at the recent NCGA in Anaheim hinted at this but would offer no other
specs or details.

Y'know, you might be able to kludge a way to get the JX-100 to scan
a negative or slide by turning the scanner upside down, putting the
negative on the "glass" and then covering with an opaque white piece of
plastic or thick paper... (you wouldn't want to chance damaging your
eyes when that extremely bright light in the scan head kicks in) but
I haven't tried this.

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (04/13/90)

In article <5649@lmrc.uucp> hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:
>Does the JX-100 technology allow scanning transparencies?

The Sharp JX-100 technology was designed solely for scanning reflective
material. No provisions were designed in for scanning transparencies. There
may, however, be a way to get the scanner to do it, in the aftermarket arena.

Also, the 200dpi scanning is a bit low resolution for doing 35mm slides.

The Sharp JX-450 and JX-600 are able to scan transparencies, and there are a
number of slide scanners out there, but they're all a bit pricey. The Howtek
ScanMaster 35 is a slide scanner which should work with the ASDG Professional
ScanLab package, due to some level of software compatibility with their
flatbed scanner, but I have no reliable information as to how well they would
work together.

All in all, the scanning technology is maturing, and the prices are coming
down, so there's likely to be an inexpensive slide scanner in the near future.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams