[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice 5.05 installation

mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall Polimer Levine) (04/12/90)

I just tried to patch my lattice 5.04 into 5.05 on a hard disk.  I made
the necessary assigns and ran the automatic intallation script on the
5.05 patch disk.  I do not think that I had 5.04a.  I just had the
store-bought version of 5.04.  I still had the bugs with drand48(),etc.
Anyway, the patch process finished but when I invoke lc, I still get the
message: version 5.04.  Doesn't the patch update the message?  Did I
mess up the patching process?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Marshall Levine

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (04/13/90)

In article <15274@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall P. Levine) writes:

>Anyway, the patch process finished but when I invoke lc, I still get the
>message: version 5.04.  Doesn't the patch update the message?  Did I
>mess up the patching process?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

No, it sounds like everything went correctly. There were no changes to the
driver program (LC), so it was not updated and still displays the original
version number (in my opinion this is a minor mistake....they should have
changed the version number there also). To check and make sure the compiler
got updated invoke the two phases manually (lc1 and lc2) and verify that they
display the new version number.

|======================================|     __          __         __
| John Meissen                         |    /  \   /|   /  \   /   /  \
| jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) |   /   /  /_|  /      /    \
| ..!sequent!oacis!jmeissen (UUCP)     |   \__/  /  |  \__/  /  \__/
| jmeissen                  (BIX)      |  ----------------------------------
|======================================|  Oregon Advanced Computing Institute

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Ian ROWLANDS) (04/13/90)

	Something I noticed, when I upgraded my Lattice compiler from 5.02
to 5.05 (BTW, thanks to Mike Roth for such prompt service to my request!).
I used the script to install it on my hard disk. Everything works fine until
near the end. During installation, I get system requestors asking for disks
names 'Lattice_5.0.5', or something similar. However, after inserting the last
disk and more copying, the system asks for 'Lattice.5' (or something like it).
Anybody else noticed this? I looked at the script, but couldn't see exactly
what the problem was.

	My guess was that the patches had been applied to the original disks,
and the patch disks were called 'Lattice.5' (or something similar). There is
an easy way around it (opoing a new cli, assigning the requested volume to
df0: , or whatever floppy, and clicking retry). however, it's a little
annoying (especially for new users of the amiga). If anybody from Lattice is
reading this, maybe they could look at the problem.

					Ian

P.S. Anybody doubting Lattice's service - I requested the update as I hadn't
     received the 5.04 update. After being acknowledged, I expected to wait
     about a month for the disks. I got the shock of my life when they arrived
     just over a week later (remember that I live in Australia).

P.P.S I don't work for Lattice etc and associated crap

Ian Rowlands                      | ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (main)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering,  | ianr@gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au
 (including Computer Science)     | ianr@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.au (to 7/90)
University of Melbourne           | (How can you have a funny quote in only 4 li