[comp.sys.amiga] comp.sys.amiga.marketing

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") (03/28/90)

Had a truly terrible idea and couldn't wait to share it withe world. :-)

My idea to help bring the volume of comp.sys.amiga under control is to create
a newsgroup devoted amiga marketing.   This group would be a forum for
discussing the marketing of amiga systems, software, and peripherals.

Possible topics might include:
1) commodore's marketing strategy
2) amiga advertizing
3) the competitiveness of the amiga in various markets.
4) vendor experience
a) what's a good mail order company?
   b) what should a good dealer do?
5) How will the entry of company x or the exit of company y from the amiga
   market affect the success of the amiga?
6) How profitable is the amiga software and peripheral markets?

So, how about it?

   /*/Eric Edwards  c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu or c506634@umcvmb.bitnet/*/
  /*/ "Sir, you are an excellent star ship captain /"We come in peace, /*/
 /*/  but as a taxi cab driver you leave much to  / shoot to kill"    /*/
/*/  be desired" - Spock, "A Piece of the Action"/  --"Star Trekkin'"/*/

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (04/03/90)

[I shot the line eater]

Don't go for the new group yet. Many people complain about not being
able to read c.s.a.hardware. The same fate would probably befall another
new Amiga newsgroup.  Why would we want to exclude so many people from
such an important topic.  Besides, with so much segmentation, what will
we have left to talk about in c.s.a.? Not, really true, but I'd rather
get all my general info in one place.
My 3 cents worth.
--Brett

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/10/90)

     I'm the guilty party.  I started the idea of a comp.sys.amiga.marketing
to handle all the wonderful, useful "amiga marketing sucks" "Mac//fx blows
Amiga out of the water", and every other such message we have all come
to love on comp.sys.amiga.  Since we love it so much, I suggested we start
a new area to handle it.
     BTW, the message was posted on April Fool's Day and I did riddle the
original message w/ lots of healty sarcasm.  I'm apologize if anyone took
it seriously.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (04/10/90)

> Don't go for the new group yet. Many people complain about not being
> able to read c.s.a.hardware. The same fate would probably befall another
> new Amiga newsgroup.

A better reason for not creating comp.sys.amiga.marketing is that the
discussion doesn't justify the newsgroup.  90% of the people who think
they know how Commodore should market their machines haven't a day's
worth of experience working in the computer industry, and hence don't
know what they're talking about.  I see no reason to give them a
newsgroup so they can waste net bandwidth proving how little they
really know.  Furthermore, I wish they would shut up so as to pave the
way for productive postings in this newsgroup.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

gunda@cbmehq.UUCP (Gunda O'Neal ESCO) (04/12/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Apr10165239@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>> Don't go for the new group yet. Many people complain about not being
>> able to read c.s.a.hardware. The same fate would probably befall another
>> new Amiga newsgroup.
>
>A better reason for not creating comp.sys.amiga.marketing is that the
>discussion doesn't justify the newsgroup.  90% of the people who think
>they know how Commodore should market their machines haven't a day's
>worth of experience working in the computer industry, and hence don't
>know what they're talking about.  I see no reason to give them a
>newsgroup so they can waste net bandwidth proving how little they
>really know.  Furthermore, I wish they would shut up so as to pave the
>way for productive postings in this newsgroup.

But the good thing about such a group would be, that those who are
writing crap and unqualified stuff would (hopefully) than use that
group and not post wherever they can. First thing than I would do
is, to "u" this new group.

>				--M
>--
>__
>\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

--
Gunda O'Neal, Assistant
Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)

In article <601@cbmehq.UUCP> gunda@cbmehq.UUCP (Gunda O'Neal ESCO) writes:

>>> Don't go for the new group yet. Many people complain about not being
>>> able to read c.s.a.hardware. The same fate would probably befall another
>>> new Amiga newsgroup.
>>
>>A better reason for not creating comp.sys.amiga.marketing is that the
>>discussion doesn't justify the newsgroup.  90% of the people who think
>>they know how Commodore should market their machines haven't a day's
>>worth of experience working in the computer industry, and hence don't
>>know what they're talking about.  I see no reason to give them a
>>newsgroup so they can waste net bandwidth proving how little they
>>really know.  Furthermore, I wish they would shut up so as to pave the
>>way for productive postings in this newsgroup.
>
>But the good thing about such a group would be, that those who are
>writing crap and unqualified stuff would (hopefully) than use that
>group and not post wherever they can. First thing than I would do
>is, to "u" this new group.
>>

>>				--M
>>--
>>__
>>\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com
>

>--
>Gunda O'Neal, Assistant
>Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)
>UUCP: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!gunda
>"I am easy to please, as long as things go my way ..."

	To Michael Portuesi, the vast majority of Americans know
very little about politics, yet everyone over 18 gets to vote.
	Why shouldn't people who aren't marketing types get to
express opinions. Clearly those who state things as facts are
often full of it, but that doesn't mean that I can't say one of
my MANY opinion here on the net.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else