[comp.sys.amiga] Assigns from WB.

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy 'Bin' James.) (04/10/90)

I'm using a 2 floppy 2000 system and have the following question.

Say I boot with Disk1 and want to run say Dpaint from df1:.  Now when
Dpaint runs it will look for fonts in df0: ie my system disk.

Now if I type assign sys: df1: will it make dpaint look for fonts and
other stuff (like libraries and devices) in df1:?  If not is there a way
to do the above?  ie: make the system think I booted from the disk in
df1: and look for everything there?

Can you do this from Workbench somehow?

Thanx,
Bin

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (04/10/90)

In article <16292@snow-white.udel.EDU> BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy 'Bin' James.) writes:
>Now if I type assign sys: df1: will it make dpaint look for fonts and
>other stuff (like libraries and devices) in df1:?

No.  You need to reassing the FONTS: assignment. For a list of all
the "system" assignments you need to make, boot from a vanilla
workbench disk, get to the CLI, and type "assign" by itself.
All the directories it shows need to be reassinged to your
hard disk.

>If not is there a way
>to do the above?  ie: make the system think I booted from the disk in
>df1: and look for everything there?

There is a program I have which came from my CLtd controller software disk
which I *think* is PD. I'm sure there is a PD one out there somewhere.

>Can you do this from Workbench somehow?

Yes.  Read you enhancer manual about "iconx".  You can run CLI scripts
from the workbench by giving them a project icon with the default tool
set to "C:ICONX".  There are probably better ways to do this too.

If DPaint is all you are worried about, you can change the fonts: assignment
with the requestor inside dpaint III.   -- Darren

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy 'Bin' James.) writes:

>I'm using a 2 floppy 2000 system and have the following question.

>Now if I type assign sys: df1: will it make dpaint look for fonts and
>other stuff (like libraries and devices) in df1:?  If not is there a way
>to do the above?  ie: make the system think I booted from the disk in
>df1: and look for everything there?

>Can you do this from Workbench somehow?

While in CLI type ASSIGN by itself and press return.
It will list out all the logical devices.

See all the devices that are assigned to the workbench disk? Like FONTS:
L:, LIB:, SYS:, etc??

You have to reassign each of those to the appropriate directory on DF1:

Like: Assign FONTS: df1:fonts
      Assign SYS: DF1:
      Assign L: DF1:L

and so on...

Best thing to do is put it all into a file and then execute the file whenever
you want to reassign them.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK