[comp.sys.amiga] Would this work?

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (04/09/90)

In article <101078@convex.convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) says:
>Well, if you think about it, Apple Marketing has nothing to loose and
>everything to gain by ignoring the Amiga.  It's sort of like an incumbent
>politician with a big lead in the polls who refuses to debate his opponent.
>All they would get by acknowledging the Amiga is suddenly everyone (media)
>would start thinking of the Amiga as a direct competitor.  As long as they
>continue to ignore the Amiga it will continue to "not exist" in the minds
>of the media and most consumers.
>
>Apple's attitude toward low-end competitors is pretty normal for a
>large established company.  So don't be amazed if it continues.  I
>would be amazed if their attitude toward the Amiga were any different.

Ok, so what would happen if Commodore started an ad campaign where they
did direct comparisons of Amiga and Mac?  Ads that specifically mentioned
the Mac and showed the Mac in the Ads?  Would this not get the public
thinking of the Amiga as being in the same league?  Wouldn't consumers
then at least be aware of the Amiga as a competitor for the Mac?

Most importantly, wouldn't Apple have to respond if Commodore kept it up
long enough?  You can't keep ignoring prominent competitors while they
tell the public they're better than you.  Take AT&T as an example.
When MCI, Sprint, US Telecom, etc sprang up, AT&T didn't advertise.  They,
like Apple now, ignored the competition.  That is, until TV viewers got
innundated with "Our rates beat AT&T" ads.  Now if you watch Headline news
you get a "We'll switch you back to AT&T free" ad every 10 minutes.

I'm not in advertising, but I've taken my share of logic and human
studies courses.  I don't see where I've gone too far wrong in my above
analysis of what Commodore *could* do.... assuming they have the $$$ to
carry it out.  If I'm way off base, could someone explain where?

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 || I use Amigas.  I use Macs.          ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705   ||   I happen to like them both.  :-)  ||
|| State College, PA 16801      --------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                    ||
||        or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1           QLink: KurtTappe  ||

david_r_watters@capella.cis.ohio-state.edu (04/12/90)

In article <90098.180038JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Ok, so what would happen if Commodore started an ad campaign where they
>did direct comparisons of Amiga and Mac?  Ads that specifically mentioned
>the Mac and showed the Mac in the Ads?  Would this not get the public
>thinking of the Amiga as being in the same league?  Wouldn't consumers
>then at least be aware of the Amiga as a competitor for the Mac?
>
>Most importantly, wouldn't Apple have to respond if Commodore kept it up
>long enough?  You can't keep ignoring prominent competitors while they
>tell the public they're better than you.  Take AT&T as an example.
>When MCI, Sprint, US Telecom, etc sprang up, AT&T didn't advertise.  They,
>like Apple now, ignored the competition.  That is, until TV viewers got
>innundated with "Our rates beat AT&T" ads.  Now if you watch Headline news
>you get a "We'll switch you back to AT&T free" ad every 10 minutes.

>|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 || I use Amigas.  I use Macs.          ||

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Pepsi did it to Coke, Ford and Chevy do it to each other...It is now time for
CBM do publicly laugh at the most fantasy filled ads on the face of the
Earth.  Apple is better than Disney in the "far-fetched catagory", c'mon a
napkin with a permanate marker sketch turned into a 3D cad render of a car
in a few minutes....Bull Sh't!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll even do the Animation for them for free!

DW

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (04/14/90)

>In article <90098.180038JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT)
>writes:
>>Ok, so what would happen if Commodore started an ad campaign where they
>>did direct comparisons of Amiga and Mac?  Ads that specifically mentioned
>>the Mac and showed the Mac in the Ads?  Would this not get the public
>>thinking of the Amiga as being in the same league?  Wouldn't consumers

heh ... if you really wanted to burn em up , take out a few full-pagers in
the Wall Street Journal.

Apple is now useing the "we are accepted in corporate America, and who ever
heard of C= in business ?" -- but if one pointed out the fact that the Mac
went from no-where in acceptance to good , then the Amiga can do it ...

Roman Catholic Voodoo Rituals Protect Paula Abdul From Beings
"Haven't Seen Any Yet,".

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
{uunet , ddsw1}!tronsbox!tron1    origional text is Copryright 1990.
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568