[comp.sys.amiga] Diamond Scan monitor

rfrench@athena.mit.edu (Robert S. French) (04/15/90)

I currently have an Amiga 2000HD on order, and am interested in
getting a better monitor than the one I have on my old Amiga 1000 (the
1084?).  A number of people have recommended the Mitsubishi Diamond
Scan, at around $550 for a 14" model.  Have people who have had
experience with this monitor liked it?  Also, does it support all of
the Amiga's interlaced/non-interlaced modes properly?  I intend to get
a FlickerFixer, but not immediately.

			Rob

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (04/15/90)

In article <1990Apr14.194407.23471@athena.mit.edu> rfrench@athena.mit.edu (Robert S. French) writes:
>I currently have an Amiga 2000HD on order, and am interested in
>getting a better monitor than the one I have on my old Amiga 1000 (the
>1084?).  A number of people have recommended the Mitsubishi Diamond
>Scan, at around $550 for a 14" model.  Have people who have had
>experience with this monitor liked it?  Also, does it support all of
>the Amiga's interlaced/non-interlaced modes properly?  I intend to get
>a FlickerFixer, but not immediately.
>
>			Rob

Well, I dunno about Diamond Scan, but you can save yourself ~$250 by
(assuming you can wait 8 weeks) ordering from (horror of horrors)
"Montgomery Grant". There, I said it.
I got a Magnavox Professional from them for $290(actually 289.95) and it
seems to do what I expected of an Amiga, ie the same graphics I see on
my friends' Amigas.
Yeah, yeah, I know, all the bad rumors about M.G. and it did take FOREVER
to get it, but it works and (groan) I saved money. I got a 14" Magnavox
(same people who make the tube for the 1084) as compared to a
13" 1084 for THE EXACT SAME PRICE.
I also finally get color 80-columns for my 128 (I'll get around to connecting
that IBM modem to my A2500 one of these days!) so I don't have to suffer
from the $25 monochrome 80-columns cable I got for my 1702 monitor :-)
all in all I'm satisfied. If you want to waste $250 for a brand name
and "state of the art", go for it. I'm satisfied with a <$300 monitor.
just MHO,

*    // Only /\       Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys                    *
*\\ //      /--\MIGA  (and hater of spaces near commas.)                      *
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* "The only good long .signature is a dead one!" --Me (The new,shorter .sig!) *