[comp.sys.amiga] I'm ending my involvement with this one here.

91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David) (04/15/90)

>Subject: Re: A rough future for the Amiga??? I think not.
>From: ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe)
>Date: 8 Apr 90 01:39:40 GMT

>In article <16192@snow-white.udel.EDU> 91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David
>) writes:

>>	The only things I've seen so far that puts it ahead of the A2500/30 is:
>>
>> 1.  a 40mhz cpu (oooh, ahhh! like no one else will have that in about a month)

>Like Commodore is going to have a 40 Mhz Amiga out anytime soon?  But that's
>beside the point.  For years, 24 bit boards have been available for the Mac,
>for monitors of most any size. Ohhh, ahhh...

	For years, 24-bit frame buffers have been available for the Amiga (Ohh,
ahhh...)  And Why wouldn't C= have a 40mhz EXPANSIOIN BOARD?  I know GVP has
been moving toward it for quite some time: 25mhz, 28mhz, now 33mhz.  I suspect
they will have a 40mhz option shortly.

>> 2.  The 24 bit graphics accellerator card standard component.
>>
>>[etc...etc...etc...]

>Please. Just stop it. These constant comlaints about how the 'Apple marketing
>geeks/nerds' have been creating elaborate lise to trick the public into
>buying a IIfx over an Amiga are geting really tiresome.  Since you're so
>fond of quoting these 'outrageous' ads, you could at least quote properly.
>You say that the Apple ad for the IIfx claims to be the first computer to
>use coprocessors to help relieve the main processor. No. The actual quote is
>as follows: "...It is also the first personal computer to have two
>additional processors - with the power of two additional personal computers -
>to manage the flow of information inside." Now consider: Do the Amiga's
>blitter, copper, etc. themselves have the power of additional personal
>computers???  Nope, they don't.  The IIfx uses, I believe, two 6502 to
>aid with i/o, and therein lies the difference.  Next time, think before you

	Yor two extra "computers" are 8-bit chips DEDICATED to handling I/O.
They are NOT supplying the power of two additional computers.  The Agnus,
Denise, and Paula chips are 16-bit DMA/Color/graphics/sound speciallized chips,
which deal with THE greatest lag on any cpu.  Now, tell me, which chips are
better?  I don't know, I suspect it is the amiga set, but I'm not sure myself,
but to claim the 6502 chips are "the power of two additional personal
computers" looks to me like a statement made to be ambiguous enough to pass a
court of law, since the 6502 chips are 8-bit cpu chips.  The fact is, they are
dedicated coprossessors - not additional computers.

>	The Amiga is a great machine with some great things going for it.
>Why is it that Amiga owners (yes, I used to be one, and I still like the
>machine a lot) look at the Mac as the anti-christ, and feel compelled
>to slander it whenever possible?  If some of us would just calm down a little,
>the world would be a nicer place...

	Perhaps it's because thru the years, features we've been using
regularly have been "invented" by Apple and IBM, and everyone seems to think
the Amiga cannot do these things and is a "toy".  It's FRUSTRATING BEYOND
BELIEF!

--
"I don't want to start any Blasphemous Rumors, but I think that God's got a

Dave Bicking         	       Single Tasking????? Just say NO!!!!
Union College Box 152          91_bickingd@union.bitnet              //
Schenectady, NY 12308          91_bickingd@gar.union.edu	   \X/ Amiga