[comp.sys.amiga] Turbo Silver

bobm@tree.UUCP (Robert Moskovitz) (10/03/88)

Does anyone have Turbo Silver 3.0?  If you do can you tell me some of the
features of Turbo Silver 3.0.  Also there is a program called Terrain.  What
is this program like?

-Robert Moskovitz
UUCP:  ..!{csusac,pacbell}!sactoh0!ramoskov
	   ..!{csusac,pacbell}!sactoh0!tree!bobm
	   ..!csusac!tree!bobm

24847843%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Shawn Clabough) (10/04/88)

I just received Turbo Silver this last week and I am very pleased with
it.  The most impressive features with it are the SPIN option where you
select points on an axis and it spins them around that axis to create a
shape (much like a Lathe).  The other feature is a limited type of
tweening (tweening = filling in motions of an object moving from key
position A to key position B).  The docs say that the program will not
benefit from having a 68020 board with 68881 chip because of the type
of ray tracing it uses, but I have my doubts upon the validity of that.
It also has a configuration file to customize the screen colors and
update speeds to what ever you prefer.  Another feature is a stencil
option which creates an object 1 pixel deep and places it in front of
your scene.  Turbo Silver is well worth the price.  Next I would like
to see support for multiple light sources.

                                      Shawn Clabough
                                      24847843@WSUVM1.BITNET
                                      Washington State University

                                      GO COUGS!

In article <112@tree.UUCP> bobm@tree.UUCP (Robert Moskovitz) writes:
>Does anyone have Turbo Silver 3.0?  If you do can you tell me some of the
>features of Turbo Silver 3.0.  Also there is a program called Terrain.  What
>is this program like?

	Dunno if I'm allowed to talk about it, so I'll speak in general
terms.

Turbo Silver 3.0 (Turbo Silver Pro)
-----------------------------------

	A re-work of Turbo Silver.  Some of the improvements include a super
requester (modify all of an object's attributes through one coherent
requester), and a comprehensible user manual.  The new manual alone is worth
getting the upgrade (IMHO).  And it still generates beautiful images.

	Also, a 68020/68881 version will be available, called Turbo Silver
Pro FP.  Functionally identical, but runs faster.

Terrain
-------

	A landscape generator.  The program uses a non-fractal technique to
generate surfaces and landscapes for use in Silver.  The user interface is
very clean.

	I *think* both programs will be shown aff at AmiExpo.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

bobm@tree.UUCP (Robert Moskovitz) (10/05/88)

In article <7287@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> 	Dunno if I'm allowed to talk about it, so I'll speak in general
> terms.

   I believe that it is ok to talk about Turbo Silver 3.0.  I just recieved
the first Silver Note from Impulse that discribing what it is along with
discriptions of some of their new programs and hardware.

> 	Also, a 68020/68881 version will be available, called Turbo Silver
> Pro FP.  Functionally identical, but runs faster.

   The newsletter says that "The new Turbo Silver 3.0 also comes with a
floating point version for those of you who have CSA or Hurricane boards
stuck inside your Amiga 2000."

> 	A landscape generator.  The program uses a non-fractal technique to
> generate surfaces and landscapes for use in Silver.  The user interface is
> very clean.

   According to the newsletter, Terrain does use fractals to create
mountains, valleys, etc.  It also allows you to generate animated water(or
any wavey surfaces?).

In article <116@tree.UUCP> bobm@tree.UUCP (Robert Moskovitz) writes:
>In article <7287@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>> 	A landscape generator.  The program uses a non-fractal technique to
>> generate surfaces and landscapes for use in Silver.  [ ... ]
>
>   According to the newsletter, Terrain does use fractals to create
>mountains, valleys, etc.  [ ... ]

	Clarification:  The landscapes generated by Terrain certainly look
fractally generated, but the manual specifically says that the generation
technique is non-fractal in nature, claiming that a true fractal generator
would have consumed too much memory.

ewhac@well.sUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) (10/07/88)

In article <116@tree.UUCP> bobm@tree.UUCP (Robert Moskovitz) writes:
>In article <7287@well.sUCP>, ewhac@well.sUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>> 	A landscape generator.  The program uses a non-fractal technique to
>> generate surfaces and landscapes for use in Silver.  [ ... ]
>
>   According to the newsletter, Terrain does use fractals to create
>mountains, valleys, etc.  [ ... ]

	Clarification:  The landscapes generated by Terrain certainly look
fractally generated, but the manual specifically says that the generation
technique is non-fractal in nature, claiming that a true fractal generator
would have consumed too much memory.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

stoic@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Scott D. Alden) (04/15/90)

here is a question: <I dont think I can get flamed on this>

Well anyway, I often use Turbo Silver, and I am trying to get a "REALISTIC"
glass setting.... does anyone that is familiar with TS 3.0 know how to get a
decent glass texture... I have tried hundreds of settings to no avail...
It is really bugging me, because the trace I am doing needs GLASS!
Some real looking glass anyways.... If anyone out there can help me PLEASE
MAIL!

thanx in advance

I like to make amigos with other amigas!
Mail me --- STOIC@elm.circa.ufl.edu
     ///\