[comp.sys.amiga] I need a BBS to buy an Amiga!

edl@trwind.UUCP (Ed Leonhardt ext 336) (07/14/89)

Help!

I need a good Buletin Board System for the Amiga to help me justify
purchasing some Amigas for this place.

There are a couple of things that I will need it to support including
Local Area Network handling, but if source code is available anything
is possible.

Also, if possible please send any docs that you may have just lyin' around.

Thanks in advance for any gratuitous responses that I may receive,

-edl-

U.S. Mail:        ARPA:                    *********** *******  ****  ****  ****
Ed Leonhardt      edl@trwind.ind.TRW.COM  *********** ********* **** ***** ****
TRW IND                                                    ****
Bldg. 153 Lobby                             ****    **** ****   *************
23800 Hawthorne Bl  USENET:                ****    ****   ****  ***** ******
Torrance, CA 90505  ...!trwrb!trwind!edl  ****    ****     **** ****  *****
--

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (07/18/89)

From article <551@trwind.UUCP>, by edl@trwind.UUCP (Ed Leonhardt ext 336):

> Help!
>
> I need a good Buletin Board System for the Amiga to help me justify
> purchasing some Amigas for this place.

I don't know much about it, but I just saw a post on a local BBS that
there is a new program from the Amiga called Paragon.  I'm not into BBS progs
that much, but I can get you some info on it if you want.

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil (Earle Ake) (07/22/89)

	The Paragon BBS is available through the author's board.  You can
reach them at:

	Paragon BBS
	Inner Circle Software
	P.O. Box 486
	Northborough, MA 01532
	BBS: 508-393-3875

	It is running on the local BBS here in town.  It supports fidonet,
message bases, multiple protocols, files areas, bulletins, and more.  I am
not a SYSOP, but a satisfied user.

Earle Ake
akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (07/24/89)

In article <20189@louie.udel.EDU>, akeef@asd.wpafb.af.mil (Earle Ake) writes:

> 	The Paragon BBS is available through the author's board.  You can
> 	It is running on the local BBS here in town.  It supports fidonet,
> message bases, multiple protocols, files areas, bulletins, and more.  I am
> not a SYSOP, but a satisfied user.

	A local BBS converted to Paragon from BBS-PC.  The users had many
	complaints and so the SYSOP switched back.  Apparently though,
	the author of the program was very receptive to enhancement requests
	and so a new version has been produced.  Hopefully the new version will
	fix enough problems to make the program more usable.  The BBS is in
	San Diego, CA - "The Mousetrap", 619-464-2134.  It will be set up
	with the latest Paragon software in a few days (perhaps by 7-28-89).

	Some of the complaints were: Tabs not recognized in messages,
	No way to read all messages addressed to you (you had to scan
	through the entire message base, or write down the messsage #'s),
	You must hit ESC to login (messed up some login scripts)... there
	were some other complaints as well.   Anyone interested in the
	evolution of Paragon from a SYSOP's point of view should call the
	Mousetrap and talk to the SYSOP.

	John Lindwall
	johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/25/89)

Paragon looks like a nice system. However, the complaint that I have is with
the author of the program. You can't even get him to answer simple questions.
He acts like you are bothering him. A number of my questions were simply
never answered....zip... NO REPLY!! I don't know about you, but I have
had enough of this type of shit from Micro-Systems Software (BBS-PC!). And I
don't want to spend the bucks to buy a new BBS software package, and get the
same old run around.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

COSC60I@elroy.uh.edu (Bandolar) (08/03/89)

> never answered....zip... NO REPLY!! I don't know about you, but I have
> had enough of this type of shit from Micro-Systems Software (BBS-PC!). And I

Though MSS has stopped expanding BBS-PC! I have not had a problem getting
help when I called them.  BBS-PC! doesn't do what I want it to (it looks
like it never will) but I'm not  ready to right my own yet (maybe another
year of school) and so far my users boo down every other package that is
suggested.  BBS-PC! is a brick.  It is not very flashy but it works, and
it is easy to maintain.  What I want eventually is:

	o Easy to maintain
	o Never crashes unless there is a good reason (power failure)
	o Can run sub programs
	o Optional ability to send codes to cause pictures to be displayed
	o Similar ability to send codes that cause sounds to be played

Picture yourself at a beach...  in the background you can hear the waves
The message text scrolls by over the sand.

Picture as well, being able to play Othello, D&D, and various other games
based on menu options of the board.

Sysop, Phoenix96.
--
Stephen McLeod, native Texican  | Interests: SF/Gaming, French, the SCA,
Vote Spock, the logical choice  | Computers, and friendly people

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/04/89)

I agree with you on several points on BBS-PC! It is a VERY stable program.
I have NEVER had it crash without a damn good reason in the 1 1/2 years I have
been running it. I like what it can do, but it needs to be able to do more..
namely networking (fido?), games, multi-user?, etc... If MSS had kept it up
to date rather than sitting on their duff, it would be THE package to beat.

One question, you said you had games, etc on your system? Care to share just
how you did it? I would love to have stuff like that on our board!

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (08/04/89)

In article <1587@elroy.uh.edu> COSC60I@elroy.uh.edu (Bandolar) writes:
>What I want eventually is:
>
>	o Easy to maintain
>	o Never crashes unless there is a good reason (power failure)
>	o Can run sub programs
>	o Optional ability to send codes to cause pictures to be displayed
>	o Similar ability to send codes that cause sounds to be played
>
>Picture yourself at a beach...  in the background you can hear the waves
>The message text scrolls by over the sand.
>
>Sysop, Phoenix96.

I've just aquired Atredes1.1 for our Amiga user group BBS.  I'm in the
process of installing it on my 2500.  So far it seems to be very versatle
and powerfull.  As you wished, it supports sending draw commands that can
do lines, ellipse, filled ellipse, box, filled box, blit, send brush, and
more.  It can display gadgeted menus for point and click selections. The
next version will support sending sounds too.  You need a terminal program
that supports SkyPix (tm) to use these features but they included a freeware
terminal program in the telecommunications database which does.  Supposedly
there are a few terminal packages that have claimed to be adding it
(SkyPix) to the supported modes.  SkyPix is an extension to ANSI.  Also
supported is full FONT selection for your messages and bulletins.  It
really is a classy looking system both from the user end and the Sysop end.
Really makes for an 'Amiga-ized' BBS, if your tired of feeling like you've
traded your Amiga in for an IBM PC every time you log on to a BBS.
If you want to check it out running at Incognito (the authors of Atredes)
you can reach them at:   BBS - 313-937-2355  Voice - 313-937-1850
Once I have ours running smoothly, I'll post the number (if that's
appropriate for the net?)  And, no... I'm in no way affiliated with
Incognito Software Inc.

-Stan

  Stan Fisher - stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com - asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -        (602) 438-3228

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (08/05/89)

In article <11378@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>In article <1587@elroy.uh.edu> COSC60I@elroy.uh.edu (Bandolar) writes:
>>What I want eventually is:
>>
>>	o Easy to maintain
>>	o Never crashes unless there is a good reason (power failure)
>>	o Can run sub programs
>>	o Optional ability to send codes to cause pictures to be displayed
>>	o Similar ability to send codes that cause sounds to be played
>
>I've just aquired Atredes1.1 for our Amiga user group BBS.  I'm in the
>process of installing it on my 2500.  So far it seems to be very versatle
>and powerfull.
>It really is a classy looking system both from the user end and the Sysop end.

Either you haven't finished installing it yet, or Atredes made a LOT (more
than a lot!) of changes since 1.0.  I am a co-sysop on a local Amiga board
that has been using Atredes 1.0 for several months (we've been trying to get
them to send us 1.1 for that long, though I heard that it came in this week!).
We have had nothing but problems from day 1.  It has been an incredible pain
to maintain - screens do not save unless you do things in some particular
order, no remote maintence, 3 versions of each file (ascii, ansi, skypix)
with little or no mention in the manual of what each file is, an up/download
section that sucks rocks, frequent lock-ups, gurus, and even forgetting of
ASSIGNs!, etc. etc.

If you have it running for a while and you still think highly of it, please
let me know.  If you have half as many problems with 1.1 as we have with
1.0, by all means, please take back your praise so that no more money is
wasted on a piece of crap (IMHO)!

--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything

COSC60I@elroy.uh.edu (Bandolar) (08/09/89)

> One question, you said you had games, etc on your system? Care to share just
> how you did it? I would love to have stuff like that on our board!

* I said I would *like* to have a BBS that you could run games/sub programs
* from.  All I *have* done is used the DOS gate to run sub programs that
* direct the text output into a text file that can then be typed with another
* menu option.  You could use this approach to run a game.
* For Example:  the menu
COMPUTER CHESS MENU
M >ake your move
S >how the board
You would type...
M chess >board kp4 kp5
the cursor would come back...
then
it would show the board.
I almost did this *BUT* there is a problem.  You could also type...
M c:delete #?
and delete all files on the disk.  or
M c:dir opt a
etc.  Making too dangerous for general use.  I would be highly interested
if anyone could suggest a way to prevent this.  I considered assigning
c: to an empty directory while the game was available and putting the bbs
alone with the chess program.
--
Stephen McLeod, native Texican  | Interests: SF/Gaming, French, the SCA,
Vote Spock, the logical choice  | Computers, and friendly people
This Space for Rent		| So... whadayou wanna be when you grow up?

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (08/09/89)

Re:  Good BBS type thing that lets you write online games easily etc...

I've been working on such a beast for over a month, and it's nearing
completion.  I'm probably going to be offering a version SHAREWARE
with a significantly enhanced version for registered users.

My BBS system (if you can call it that) is 'Way' ahead of anything else
out for the amiga at present.  I have a compiled menu system, that's
**REALLY** easy to use and loaded with possibilities.  The whole shabang
is written in Arexx (yes, you need Arexx to run it) and the registed
version will support Multiline, along with a multiline chat.
The system is fast.  Even at 19.2k (I test it on my terminal) unlike things
like atredes which creep along at 2400 baud.  Doors can be written in
arexx, and are loaded in and executed quickly as modules for the BBS.
The BBS uses 80k of FAST RAM (so far) and no chip ram (unless you count the
small console window that lists info).

Most of the BBS is made up of doors as well (saves memory when running)
and there are several utilities and games that I've written.

It pains my brain to see how long the amiga's gone without a powerful
BBS system.  Sure, there are a lot around, but none offer any great variety
of special features, whereas my system gives you LOADS of teriffic things.

Some of the things I've got are:  Pretend Page Lists (A list of users you
don't want paging you.  when they do page, it only beeps on their end).
Onlypage is a list of the ->only<- people to page you.
When you log on, you are in the lobby, where a certain # of services are
available to users who haven't logged on.  From there you can execute any
of the services the sysop wants.  You can also 'log on' and when you logon,
any additional services available to you will appear in the lobby.  I am
writing utilities to interface existing usenet and fido systems to the bbs.
The message system is also cool.  Something like a cross between Opus's
message reader and magpie's tree structured message system.

The whole thing is sort of 'elegent'.  The actual "BBS" part of the "BBS" is
only 10 lines.  The rest is all support functions (which doors can use,
thereby making doors pretty easy to write).

I'm getting lots of input on the system from local bbs'ers and it's going
well.  File transfer protocols are also doors, so you can easily add new
protocols.  That touches on some general points about it.  We plan on calling
it 'PONS -acadamy-'.  The shareware version won't be crippled like Metro BBS
was, but it won't have things like my 'radical' ansi editor, which also lets
you create the menu files, and can extract ascii menu's from the ansi ones.
Also the shareware version won't have the super-sysop-utilities.

I don't know what else to say.  Look for it about a month from now when
the number of the BBS will be available for calling.
-PONS- and the contents of this message are copyright by
Spaghetti Western Words and Images
100 Kinzie Ave.
Kitchener, Ontario
N2A 2J6   TELNUM: 519-578-8525

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/19/89)

I agree with you Dan on the stability of BBS-PC! I have never had it crash.
I am however getting tired of restrictions placed on the software. There are
MANY things I like about BBS-PC!, and what it does do, it does very well.
However it needs networking, dos gate that is FULLY working, etc... I hope
that MSS wakes up and does an update to it, because it needs it!

As for the goodies you have working, care to pass on the goodies to another
BBS-PC! Sysop!? It would sure make me happy! :) :)

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (04/28/90)

In Message <20717@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

>Paragon looks like a nice system. However, the complaint that I have is with
>the author of the program. You can't even get him to answer simple questions.
>He acts like you are bothering him. A number of my questions were simply
>never answered....zip... NO REPLY!! I don't know about you, but I have
>had enough of this type of shit from Micro-Systems Software (BBS-PC!). And I
>don't want to spend the bucks to buy a new BBS software package, and get the
>same old run around.

  I will agree that MSS does give you the run around with no help at the end.

  But I must also say that BBS-PC! for the Amiga is a solid product. If your
  willing to do a bit of hacking it can also be expanded. For example I have
  added a DOS-Gateway (actually use a CLI via the BBS & modem) and a View
  feature to list the contents of archive files. These are homebrew items
  but work perfectly. (Both are currently only on the SYSOP menu till were
  done testing)

  When a BBS as solid as BBS-PC! with good support (or source code) id be
  willing to switch, but until then ill still keep on hackling ;-)

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS