[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vs. Mac

kgschlueter@watrose.UUCP (Kevin Schlueter) (01/22/87)

I'm not really sure that the ST has almost all the features of the Amiga:

  -- the ability to display all graphics modes without requiring
     separate monitors (in fact, different graphics modes may be
     displayed on the Amiga screen simultaneously).

 -- multitasking and multiprogramming

-- Hold and modify mode

-- printer independence

-- four DACS for sound generation

-- extensive use of DMA to minimize processor load

-- a versatile expansion bus which allows multiple processors to share
   the Amiga's memory

-- hardware graphics

-- expandibility beyond 1 meg in an elegant fashion (yes, the Mega ST's
   allow this, but it is a tribute to the Amiga's designers that the
   very first Amiga could do this)

- a reasonably advanced, message passing operating system that is
  STANDARD equipment.  Add ons are fine, but developers will probably
  write software for the OS that comes with the machine.

--------------------------

I really don't think that the ST OS is superior to the Amiga's.  Many
of the reasons are listed above.

Finally, the Magic Sac may allow the ST to run some Mac programs.
However, the Magic Sac emulates a Mac NOT a Mac Plus.  It may
be faster than a Mac but so is a Mac Plus (and the Mac Plus also
has the 128K Roms as opposed to the old, 64K ROMS in the Magic Sac).
It is my gut feeling that a Magic Sac is not the equivalent of a Mac Plus.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (01/24/87)

>I'm not really sure that the ST has almost all the features of the Amiga:
>
>-- four DACS for sound generation

One the other hand, it does have a built in MIDI interface, which
is nice for serious music work.  One still another hand, I wonder
how many people use it?  It does seem sort of a strange thing to
put in a low cost computer.
--
Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (01/25/87)

....talking about the Atart ST....
>One the other hand, it does have a built in MIDI interface, which
>is nice for serious music work.  One still another hand, I wonder
>how many people use it?  It does seem sort of a strange thing to
>put in a low cost computer.
>--
>Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
>                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

The presence of a serial port on any computer almost guarentees its MIDI
hardware ability. An RS232 to MIDI converter cost $10 in parts
and takes a night or two to solder together. It really just converts
voltage drive to current drive. The schematic is
in the Amiga Public Domain. You are then faced with finding software to
talk to it, but this is available for the Amiga, Mac and IBM.

                                       Ralph

aaron@uwmacc.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <651@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@ATRP.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amiga-Man) writes:

>The presence of a serial port on any computer almost guarentees its MIDI
>hardware ability. An RS232 to MIDI converter cost $10 in parts
>and takes a night or two to solder together. It really just converts
>voltage drive to current drive. The schematic is
>in the Amiga Public Domain. You are then faced with finding software to
>talk to it, but this is available for the Amiga, Mac and IBM.
>
>                                       Ralph

You mustn't forget that the serial port must be able to operate at
31,250 bps, which is the MIDI standard speed. Most cannot, as they have
RS232 standards built in. If it has a programmable clock rate generator
for the serial port which goes up to that speed, as the Amiga does, then
you can use the port for MIDI.

Aaron Avery ({seismo,harvard,caip,topaz,allegra,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmacc!aaron)
            (aaron%maccunix@rsch.wisc.edu)
            (aaron@unix.macc.wisc.edu)

hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (01/27/87)

	I don't know why all you folks out there are so
impressed by the ST's "built-in MIDI."  A MIDI port is just
a serial port; you can convert any RS-232C port into a MIDI
port with a couple of MIDI jacks and a few wires.  MIDI adapters
are available for the 'miga for $50, and that includes MIDI
out and MIDI in, plus a switch to use the serial port normally
instead.  If you don't want to spend $50, you can cable it
yourself for under $10 (and a little soldering work.)

			-Mitsu

eehg0880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/02/90)

I'm looking for answers to that question, too.  Since the A3000 costs so
much less that a mac, there seems to be only one choice if it is really as
good as they say it is.  I can't believe how good the price break is for
students!