[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 disk slots

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (05/02/90)

In article <ABAIR.90Apr30175521@turbinia.sps.mot.com> abair@turbinia.sps.mot.com (Alan Bair) writes:
>In article <11171@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>

>>>Can you describe the physical setup of the machine?  I have a
>>>SyQuest SQ555 5.25" half-height removable media drive.  Can it be
>>>used in an A3000 (fast backups :-)?
>>You need to mount 5.25" drives externally.  There's room inside for
>>two 3.5" hard disks and one 3.5" floppy.  There's 3A at +12V, 17.5A
>>at +5V, for the whole system.
>
>>>Can a 2nd floppy be added (er, for recreational software :-)?
>
>>Yes, internally or externally, depening on what else you have inside, of
>>course.
>
>I have read in this NewsGroup and recently in the BYTE review that there is
>room for 3 3.5" devices.  The system comes standard with 2; a floppy and
>either a 40 or 100MB harddisk.
>
>Now in the reply above Dave contradicts himself about what the slots can
>be used for.  From the picutures I have seen there does not appear to be
>more than one external floppy slot, so can you have more than one floppy?
>Or is that second floppy actually internal with no external access :)

He didn't even mention the slots :^) and in the pictures you saw, I assume there
was a striped peice of plastic next to the 3.5"floppy. You take this peice off
when you put a second floppy in the system. (You can have 2 hard drives and 1
floppy or vice versa.)

Now for a couple of questions:
	I want stats! We ran a demo called KLIDEX simultaneously on a 2500/30 and
a 3000 at the local dealer, and I guesstimate the 3000 was about 5-10% faster.
(Klidex is a damn fast line and curve pattern drawer.)  We were going to try
out a Dhrystone Benchmark on it but we forgot to bring it and I don't think it
would be fair without an A3000 specific compiler. ANYWAYS, can someone give us
a hint as to how fast it is compared to a 1000? a 2500/30? etc.  I want to see
this beast's number crunching power!  (BTW, any rumors about an '040 card? which
brings me to my next question...)
	From looking at the pictures in the magazines, It appears that on the right
hand side of the system there is the case on top, the drives, some sheilding/
support, and then the motherboard (from top to bottom)  Well, the 200 pin cpu
slot looks like it is crunched right under the floppys. Is there space under
there for a card?  I  can see something like this:

	| ^     <-- connector

Is that what will happen?  It looks tight!  If not, where will the board go?

	-jason nyberg