[comp.sys.amiga] BridgeBoard Questions

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (12/06/89)

I Have a few questions about the 2088 bridgeboard.  I am being tempted
by a local dealer who's sale price is $349.00 and is willing to go even
lower.

I have an amiga 2000 with a 40 meg quantum and a hardframe.

Q1: Can I partition part of the quantum for use by the bridgeboard

Q2: Can the amiga 3.5" drives be used by the bridgeboard. or will I have to
    get another disk drive.  And if I do need to get another drive
    should it be an amiga type (A1010) or an IBM.

Thanks    Lance Holmes

user_442@dayton.saic.com (12/08/89)

--
Well Lance, Welcome to the world of bridge card. The answers to your questions
are as follows:

1) Yes, you can set up a area on your harddrive. Follow the directions for
using the MAKEAB command on the AMIGA for the IBM software. This assumes you
have the new JANUS software. The other choice is to JLINK to a file from the IBM
side to the AMIGA side. All of this is documented in the softwaree manuals.

2) The internal 3.5 drive can only be accessed by the AREAD and AWRITE commands
on the IBM side. If you use CROSSDOS software, the 3.5 can be used to create
a IBM compatible disk format. A standard AMIGA external 3.5 drive can also be
purchased to connect to the Bridgecard for direct IBM format compatibility.
DO NOT buy a IBM drive. It is not configured to connect directly to the AMIGA.

Good Luck, and EMAIL if you have any questions.

||   David Bernard                                              ||
||   Science Applications International Corp.                   ||
||   Dayton, Ohio                                               ||
||   dlb%dayvd@dayton.saic.com                                  ||

user_442%dayton.saic.com@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/15/89)

--
[...]

ereidell@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Evan A. Reidell) (05/03/90)

This was sent to me by an Amigan in France, who asked me to post it in
the USA for him.  He asks if anyone has answers for him, to email them
to lambmc@ese.essex.ac.uk directly, which is his new address (his system
administrator murdered his previous account... don't ask me...)

Here goes...

**---------------------------------------------------------------**

Few years ago, I visited the SICOB, a place in Paris where vendors
expose their new machines, softwares, ... And I saw it: the A2000 with
the bridgeboard. It is possible, now, to have fun with parallel
computing on a micro computer !

The technical manager did a demo for me, of 2 programs exchanging
messages from both machines (Amiga & PC). He told me that those programs
were given with the whole package. So I spend all my money in this
"bi-machine".

But nothing like that inside. Absolutly no information that a developer would
expect. To have that, you have to be a "registred Commodore France developer"!
And you HAVE to pay for that...

So I'm trying today, and it is a real brain storming for me, to get
those informations from you, in the Shakespear's langage... But, here
are my questions :

1> I read in an old technical reference manual that a link library called
   "jlib.lib" exists (or meaby I can do one if I can find a jlib.fd ?)
   Could anyone tell me where, or better mail it to me ?

2> Same questions about the include files (either for Amiga and PC sides).

3> And finally, the examples I mentionned above ?

My purpose is to write a server running on Amiga and a device driver on PC
to make df0: running as B: for PC. But maybe does it already exist ? For
that, I need as well the sources of trackdisk.device or something like that
(or an equivalent to dos-2-dos) that where, I think, in appendix k of the
even older ROM kernel manual 1.1 ...

If anyone can help, or give me any suggestion, you're welcome to mail me at
		 <lambmc@ese.essex.ac.uk>
Thanks,
			Fred.

- Evan