[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 3000 '68040 expansion

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (05/02/90)

I hate to add another rumor to the 3000 pile, but while looking at a picture
of the 3000 and the available schematics, he found an open socket which
would JUST fit a 68040.

My curiousity is if anyone at Commodore wants to say whether or not the 3000
will be easily upgraded to a 68040 when they hit the mass market.

As a side note, Joe Torre of Amiga Atlanta also found composite monochrome
video on the 3000 motherboard, and would like to claim fame and fortune as
the discoverer of what may be the first 3000 hardware hack. Amusing, no?

--
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | "I exist; therefore I am."             >

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (05/03/90)

In article <8798@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>of the 3000 and the available schematics, he found an open socket which
>would JUST fit a 68040.

>easily upgraded to a 68040 when they hit the mass market.

	The 3000 has a CPU upgrade socket that will allow it to be upgraded
to a 68040.

						--Rob.

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (05/03/90)

FRANKLIN) writes:

>I hate to add another rumor to the 3000 pile, but while looking at a picture
>of the 3000 and the available schematics, he found an open socket which
>would JUST fit a 68040.

There is no open socket ready to accept a 68040 on the A3000. The 68040 socket
is a huge PGA, about twice the area of a 68030 socket. On the other hand,
there's a 200 pin cpu slot, which could house an 040 accelerator. Very much
like the A2000 cpu slot can house a 68030 accelerator.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327