[comp.sys.amiga] C-Ltd Timesaver

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (05/03/90)

Scott Wooden <swooden@phad.hsc.usc.edu> writes:

> I am looking for a back-up clock/calendar for my Amiga 1000. I had read
> some time ago about a device called Timesaver (as far as I can recall)
> that connects through the keyboard underneath the CPU.  I understand
> that the company that made it is now out of business or no longer makes
> that product.  If anyone knows where I can get this, or has one to sell,
> I would appreciate hearing some info.

I've got a Timesaver on the A1000 that I use for a BBS.  It was
manufactured by C-Ltd and consists of a box about 1" x 1" x 4" that
resided under the A1000 behind the keyboard garage.  The box plugs into
the A1000 where the keyboard would normally plug in and the keyboard
plugs into the box.

The device works by checking for the reset signal, and when it sees a
reset it waits a predetermined (selectable) time, then sends a CTRL-D to
the A1000 to cause the A1000 to bypass executing the S:Startup-Sequence.
The box then sends a "DATE YY:MM:DD HH:MM" command to set the date and
time followed by "Execute S:Startup-Sequence".

Hence it will work with all software with NO modification.  The
Timesaver also allows you to program a bunch of function keys, etc.

I've found it to be the best design for an A1000 clock around.  Any of
the others I tried got in the way of something... either the parallel
port (the one that I had there had a passthrough, but I had to have the
printer on when I powered up the system) or the mouse port.  If you can
find a Timesaver, get it!  You'll soon forget you even have have it on
your system.

   --- Cal

   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*