[comp.sys.amiga] Thinking of buying an Amiga.

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (05/02/90)

In article <8478@sbcs.sunysb.edu> mrose@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) writes:

> Now if I do get the Amiga, I am going to give my brother my Mega

Don't do that, give it to your worst enemy instead.  :-)

> and I would like to be able to exchange
> wordprocessor files between the two machines without a modem.  Is there
> anyway for the Amiga to read a MS-DOS disk (compatible with ST)?

Yes, there is a DOS-2-DOS package that will allow you to read and write
MS-DOS disks.

> Will  it require a bridge board?  Does the Amiga need a new 3 1/2 or can you
> use the regular Amiga drive to read a 720k disk?

You don't need any additional hardware to read and write 3.5 inch disk. You
may add a 5-1/4 inch drive to read and write those antiquated PC disks if
you really insist.

> A friend of mine
> told me that the Amiga use variable speed drives like on the Mac (yuck!),

He is wrong.

>I had heard from somewhere (don't remember where) that there was an
>Atari ST and STe emulator on a card for the Amiga.  Is this true?  Who
>makes it?  How compatible is it?

Readysoft makes a Mac emulator, just like Spectre for the ST. Everybosy
says it's better though.  :-)  There is no ST emulator to my knowledge.
The number of Amigans that would like to run ST software is rather, um,
restrained.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

mrose@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) (05/03/90)

In article <11247@cbmvax.commodore.com> writes:
>In article <8478@sbcs.sunysb.edu> mrose@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) writes:
>>
>> Now if I do get the Amiga, I am going to give my brother my Mega
>
>Don't do that, give it to your worst enemy instead.  :-)
>               ^^^^ ^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^  :-(

Hey! :) My brother already owns a 520ST with only 512k of memory.
Giving him my Mega is a God send to him, he really wants it.  It has
2megs on board, and very soon it will have a 800 x 600 NON-interlaced
screen.  I will still use it if I buy the A3000.  Sure the ST has
its faults, but I still enjoy using it.  Besides, what about my poor
Dungeon Master characters that have moved on to Chaos Stikes Back, I
won't be able to play with them anymore. :(

[ Stuff deleted ]

>>I had heard from somewhere (don't remember where) that there was an
>>Atari ST and STe emulator on a card for the Amiga.  Is this true?  Who
>>makes it?  How compatible is it?
>
>Readysoft makes a Mac emulator, just like Spectre for the ST. Everybosy
>says it's better though.  :-)
           ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^  eeek! no way dude!
>There is no ST emulator to my knowledge.
>The number of Amigans that would like to run ST software is rather, um,
>restrained.

Currently Amax doesn't compare with Spectre GCR.  Spectre reads and rights
standard Mac disks in the STs drive. No fuss.  It also supports
Mac sound on the ST and can use a hard drive partition on the ST for
the Mac.  The Screen is also non-interlaced 640 x 400, a big plus.
I have heard from a friend that a new version of Amax is on it's way.
Hopefully this will be greatly improved, ie: use hard drive, play sound
( I have only heard Amax beep ), and since the Amiga uses fixed speed drives
like on the ST, maybe Amax will be able to read Mac disks with out an
external Mac dirve.  And since the A3000 has a de-interlacer built in
I won't have to worry about the flicker.  Anyhow, I don't wanna emulate a
Mac,  I would like to be able to use all of my exisiting ST software.  If
someone knows anything about the ST emulator for the Amiga please E-mail
me about it.  Thanks!

>Valentin
>--
>The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
>may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327
>kill a god."                               UseNet:  cbmvax!valentin@uunet.uu.net
>             - Ancient Chinese Proverb     Claimer: I not Commodore spokesman be

				Take care!

				-Michael Rose

(:		When will Dungeon Master be out for the Lynx?!             :)

p.s.  Thanks everybody for telling me how to use ms-dos disks on the Amiga.
      You can stop sending now, I have 30 messages that explain what software
      to use.  Boy, everyone on c.s.amiga really responds fast!
      Thanks again!!!

bvk@hhb.UUCP (Brett Kuehner) (05/04/90)

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

>In article <8478@sbcs.sunysb.edu> mrose@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) writes:

>>I had heard from somewhere (don't remember where) that there was an
>>Atari ST and STe emulator on a card for the Amiga.  Is this true?  Who
>>makes it?  How compatible is it?

>Readysoft makes a Mac emulator, just like Spectre for the ST. Everybosy
>says it's better though.  :-)  There is no ST emulator to my knowledge.
>The number of Amigans that would like to run ST software is rather, um,
>restrained.

                                                                     ..
I've seen an ST Emulator running (It claimed to be a demo of the Chamaeleon
german emulator mentioned here a while ago). It could boot in Lo Res
Color, Med Res Color or Hi Res Mono. It ran the GEM Desktop, and could
show directories of ST disks, and ran an old ST GEM demo program. The
menus were in German, and it crashed several times while I watched. I
dunno if there is a release version yet, but someone is at least
working on one. I don't have any other info on it, though.

		Brett
--
Brett Kuehner, Racal-Redac, Mahwah, NJ
...!princeton!hhb!bvk