[comp.sys.amiga] Ultima fans, unite!

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (05/02/90)

I agree with you completely.  I don't know what exactly is going on but aren't
they in this law suit over the Amiga version of Ultima V?  I think I heard
somewhere that that was the reason for the delay.

However, I was just at the mall yesterday and saw ULTIMA VI!!!  IT was for the
IBM and maybe we should also be chanting for the VI as well.

                                         Sun...

Live Long and Prosper, dude!

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (05/03/90)

In article <20501@boulder.Colorado.EDU> judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Steve Judd) writes:

>	Hey, I've got a GREAT idea.  Everybody go and call up Origin Systems,
>Inc. and ask them when Ultima V is coming to the Amiga!  Also, ask them why
>they are doing such a horrid conversion of their products.  I mean, the
>graphics in the Ultimas are a little better, but my *C-64* had BETTER sound!
>And really cool fonts!  The game simply had a better... atmosphere about it.
>Does anybody agree with me, or are all of you traiterous Bards Tale fiends?

Yes!  Ultima III was the reason I bought a C64 a few years back, and I spent
the better part of a month solving it.  I got Ultima IV later for the Amiga,
and the best thing I could say about it was that the cities loaded faster
from disk.  Good plot and all, but sheesh it looked just like the C64 version!
And the sound... :-(

I had heard a while back that Origin wasn't even going to do an Amiga port
of Ultima V.  Knowing the accuracy of most rumors around here, it's probably
already finished :-).  Hopefully if they DO decide to port it, they'll
do better than their previous efforts....

>					-Steve
>			A diehard Ultima fanatic, still loyal to Lord British

 -Brian

| Brian Pelletier            Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.|
| Sky Computer                  Amiga!                                    |
| UUCP - brian@sky.com (work)   pelletier@grove.UUCP (home)               |

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/03/90)

     I think Ultima V wasn't released because of legal problems Origin had
w/ Microprose U.K., at least if I remember correctly from the adventure
column in INFO a few months ago.
     I've heard Ultima VI is out for MS-DOS computers already.......

salan@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Salim Alam) (05/03/90)

In article <728@sky.COM> brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) writes:

>I had heard a while back that Origin wasn't even going to do an Amiga port
>of Ultima V.  Knowing the accuracy of most rumors around here, it's probably
>already finished :-).  Hopefully if they DO decide to port it, they'll
>do better than their previous efforts....

It would really be a shame if the rumor WAS true.  I would love to
see Amiga VERSIONS (not IBM PORTS...) of Ultima V & VI, and I cannot
understand WHY Origin would not produce Amiga versions.

I think a letter/phone-call campaign is a good idea.  Lets make our
opinions known.  Can anyone supply addresses/phone#s for Origin ?

pochron@cat52.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (05/03/90)

Agreed...The Ultima series is one of the best set of adventure games around,
and you're right also about the apparent lack of quality in the ports to
the Amiga - though that is probably from the fact that some other company
does the Amiga ports for them...

Ultima V is still in litigation, due to the recent break between Origin and
their ex-distributor.  I don't know how Ultima V for the Amiga got into all
of that...anyone else know the answer?

Ultima VI will supposedly be out in October, so it looks as if some of us
may be playing VI before ever playing V...

Origin could stand to get their Amiga-act together.  I guess 1 million +
machines still isn't enough to convince them...

--

       -- David M. Pochron   | "Life's a blit,
                             |  and then you VBI."
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu |

dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (05/05/90)

	RE Origin and Ultima V

	I hear through the grapevine that U5 has escaped the litigation
quagmire and is coming Real Soon Now.  I can't substantiate that.

	On the other hand, Origin's BBS number is 1-512-328-8402.  It was
originally set up for Omega, and I lost interested in it after I lost interest
in Omega (too many bugs) so I don't know if it's still up.  They did have
sections for other Origin products, though.

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox		|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Crime, Ninja Turtle Rap