[comp.sys.amiga] ZOO where? - please

djung@eco.ua.oz (05/04/90)

I hate to add a message that doesn't hype about the 3000, but ...

Could any one post me or tell me where I can get the latest version of
ZOO for the amiga?  I though I had the latest, and I have a program called
booz as well, but neither will un-zoo the files I occasionally find in
comp.binaries.amiga.  (Arc'ed and uuencoded if possible, please- or even
just uuencoded would be fine)

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time.
						-David.

djung@eco.ua.oz.au                                (eco is INET 129.127.4.9)
No smart comments to out do the competition.

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (05/04/90)

In article <38990.2640c96f@eco.ua.oz> djung@eco.ua.oz writes:
>I hate to add a message that doesn't hype about the 3000, but ...

Thats ok, its nice a nice change...  asides, I can *answer* the question!

>Could any one post me or tell me where I can get the latest version of
>ZOO for the amiga?  I though I had the latest, and I have a program called
>booz as well, but neither will un-zoo the files I occasionally find in
>comp.binaries.amiga.  (Arc'ed and uuencoded if possible, please- or even
>just uuencoded would be fine)
>
>Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time.
>						-David.
Hmm...  we have the same 1st name... coincidence?  :-)

Hello, I am good friends with the gentleman who ported Zoo to the Amiga
(and yes I even know Rahul Dhesi, he got me my UNIX account here at BSU
afore he left for another job...) and *we* finally got our acts together
(read that, I paused in my studies long enough [I graduate sat. 5/5/90!!]
and he stopped working on ______ <- fill in the blank, he works on a TON
of stuff, aside from being a developer he is a Full Time employee of a
local Cable TV commercial type seller [Rutter Communications]) and well,
we sent off Zoo *2.01* to Tad a while back (bout 2 weeks I would say)
and it should be showing up in Comp.Binaries.Amiga whenever Tad gets
to it (right Tad?) we also sent a PAK version (as that week several
pleas for a non-zoo'ed version of Zoo were asked (begged) for... but
that 2 part 'post' never was acknowleged (did it make it to you Tad?)
yes, I know I should write Tad, but I am STILL just a hair busy..  just
wanted to get this out to the net!

Zoo 2.01 is coming, some features: Ares'able (can you say fast access?)
oh well, here is the 'Changes' file and you can see what else is
'in there'

                                CHANGES

Summary of Changes from Zoo version 2.00 to version 2.01.

   - A bug was fixed that had caused the first generation of a file to
     sometimes unexpectedly show up in archive listings.

   - A bug was fixed that had sometimes made it impossible to
     selectively extract a file by specifying its name, even though all
     files could be extracted from the archive by not specifying any
     filenames.  This occurred when a file had been archived on a
     longer-filename system (e.g. AmigaDOS) and extraction was attempted
     on a shorter-filename system (e.g. MS-DOS).

   - A bug was fixed that had caused an update of an archive to not
     always add all newer files.

   - A bug in the date routine was fixed that caused extracted files' and zoo
     archives' datestamps to be off by one day in the Amiga version.

   - An interaction between the Manx scdir() function and the FFS was
     corrected.

   - AmigaDOS file attributes defined as of AmigaDOS 1.3 are now saved and
     restored.

   - The Amiga version is compatable with the Arp resident command (ares) and
     uses less memory under shells that support the Arp resident header.

Well, be looking for Zoo 2.01 RSN at a site near YOU!

-dcp

p.s. I have been using 2.01, and am VERY pleased with it...  now if we
     can only get 3.00 out RSN too....  ;-)

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/06/90)

In article <11158@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) writes:

> we sent off Zoo *2.01* to Tad a while back (bout 2 weeks I would say)
> and it should be showing up in Comp.Binaries.Amiga whenever Tad gets
> to it (right Tad?)

Just a note to (hopefully) avoid some confusion ... this is the *real* v2.01
of Zoo.  There was an "official" patch to v2.00 that jbwaters put out, that
someone applied and posted to CompuServe as v2.01, which it isn't (but *it*
has made the rounds to BBS's as such).  I had suggested to jbwaters that he
call the new version v2.02, but he said that Rahul probably wouldn't buy that.

> p.s. I have been using 2.01, and am VERY pleased with it...  now if we
>      can only get 3.00 out RSN too....  ;-)

Yes ... very nice (I have been beta-testing v2.01 since June of last year, and
have had NO problems with it).  There is one "difficulty" in the UNIX(R) v2.01
that shows up though ... Rahul doesn't map the UNIX w-bit to also set the d-bit
in Zoo, so things Zoo'd on a UNIX box unZoo with the d-bit off on the Amy.  I
was told this would get fixed in the v2.02 UNIX version of Zoo, but that has
yet to be released.  No big deal if you have a decent shell (like SKsh) on Amy,
as you can just do a "chmod +d *".  I was going to hack this in our local copy
of UNIX Zoo, but the code is, uh, "rather interesting" in there :-)

So ... what's slated for v3.00, anyway ...?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim