[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGARC

joachim@urz.unibas.ch (05/04/90)

Does anyone know where to get the newest version of AmigArc?
Currently I'm using V0.23 (compatible to MSDOS V5.0).
There are some arc'ed textfiles on local BBS that won't unarc with
V0.23, arc telling me to get a newer version. Those archives probably
were created on MSDOS. So is AmigArc still supported and (in case it it)
where can I get the new version.

Please email me or post the answer to comp.sys.amiga

Thanx
Peter Joachim <joachim@urz.unibas.ch>

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/06/90)

In article <1990May4.111040.706@urz.unibas.ch>, joachim@urz.unibas.ch writes:

> Does anyone know where to get the newest version of AmigArc?
> Currently I'm using V0.23 (compatible to MSDOS V5.0).

Far as I know, that is the latest version of ARC, per se (for Amy).

> There are some arc'ed textfiles on local BBS that won't unarc with
> V0.23, arc telling me to get a newer version. Those archives probably
> were created on MSDOS. So is AmigArc still supported and (in case it it)
> where can I get the new version.

What I think you have are files that were put together by Phil Katz's PKARC
program.  There never was a complete implementation of PKARC released for Amy,
probably because he developed "ZIP" (due to the legal battle with the ARC
folks at SEA).

Anyway, there *is* a de-PKARC'er around for Amy.  It's called PKAX.  Should be
able to find it on a BBS, etc.  (Strangely, a grep of my Fish Xref list, shows
that it never made it to a FishDisk ... hmmmm).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim