[comp.sys.amiga] Speed of Games.

cstxqbt@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP of Truth and Justice) (05/06/90)

I would just like to give me 2p worth on he subject of the speed of games.
It would seem to me that for serious applications the faster the computer
operates at the better. But in most games where speed is inportant isn't it
that the speed is the correct speed, not the fastest speed, inportant. In
a speed game that relied on he processor for is timing, wouldn't a
accelerated processor make it more difficult to play. I was inspired to
submit this by the following.

In article <55781@bbn.BBN.COM> evil@mikey.bbn.com (DavE Nye) writes:
>In article <55297.AA55297@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>Why is everybody asking about a 68040 in the 3000?
>>What I want to know is:
>>
>>  Is it possible to build a decelerator (retardator? ;-) card
>>  with a 68000 so that I can run all my old games and demos?
>>
>     That's just it!! If they were written correctly they *WILL* RUN!
>Just a Lot faster... }:)

As I see it any well programmed speed game will syncronise itself with the
display. And any good programmer would use this to govern the speed of the
game. But we have two speeds here, NTSC and PAL. Which opens up a whole new
topic for debate. This is one side of the NTSC/PAL story which has not been
covered at all while I have been reading the AMIGA newsgroups. I don't know
what happens but as I see it if you write a game that is video syncronised
around the NTSC system it will work the same on a PAL machine only slower.
If on you were to write one on a PAL machine you would have more time between
fames. This would allow you to do more in one frame. Writers may use this time
to manipulate bigger graphics, filling up the extra sceen space. Considering a
video syncronising game written on a PAL machine using the NTSC video size.
It is very likly that such a game uses more processor time in one frame than
you have you have on a NTSC machine. If this is the case if you ran it on a
NTSC machine either it would not work or it would run 1.7 times slower. Any
comments?

- CrisP.

Chaos foever!