[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaWorld

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (05/04/90)

I thought I should post this, since I said I would, so here goes.

begin quote

IDG Communications/Peterborough, Inc.
80 Elm St.
Peterborough, NH
03458

Dear Publisher,

     I am writing after a  particularly  annoying  incident  with
your customer service department.
     First, being a caller from outside your 800 number  zone,  I
attempted  to  place  a  collect  call  to  your customer service
department.  I was informed that you do not accept collect  calls
and  that  I  would  have to dial direct to your customer service
department, at my own expense, and was not even given  the  phone
number.   Surely,  a  magazine that is attempting to represent an
international machine such as the  Amiga  should  accept  collect
calls  from  it's subscribers to the customer service department,
or at the  very least, give out the phone  number!   After  going
through  my  old  phone  bills  to determine the customer service
phone number (I had the misfortune to have to deal with them four
times  previously),  I  called  you  customer service department.
After inquiring why it was taking 6 to 8 weeks from the date that
AmigaWorld  appeared on the newstands until I received a particu-
lar issue, I was told that my subscription had  not  begun  until
February. Previously, when I called your customer service depart-
ment approximately one month after my subscription card had  been
mailed,  I  was  told  that  my subscription would begin with the
January issue.  Second, I was told that payment for my  subscrip-
tion had not been made until April.  A payment was made, by Visa,
as soon as a statement of the account was received from your com-
pany.   If  a  statement  was not received until April, the fault
lies with your company, not with myself.  I addition to  this,  I
was  told  that the address that the magazine was being delivered
to had been changed four times.  I moved once.   The  reason  for
the  four  address  changes  is  each successive time I contacted
your customer service department, I was told that the address had
not  yet  been  changed.   Finally, I stated that I would like to
cancel my subscription.  The  customer  service  representive  (I
didn't get her name), questioned why I was canceling my subscrip-
tion.  I stated that I was tired of waiting six to eight weeks to
receive  magazines  that I had already paid for.  She again asked
me why I wanted to cancel my subscription.  I stated again that I
was tired of waiting to receive magazines that I had already paid
for.  She iagain  asked me why I wanted to  cancel  my  subscrip-
tion.  I then stated that I was tired of hearing the excuses from
your company and that I would like to please cancel my  subscrip-
tion.   Your customer service representive then hung up on me.  I
immediately called back and was connected to another,  (thankful-
ly)  more  polite  customer  service representive who canceled my
subscription and told me that I would be receiving a full  refund
of my subscription price.
    Copies of this letter  and  your  reply  will  be  posted  to
USENET.
    I would like a written apology for the rude behavior of  your
customer  service representives, including an answer to my origi-
nal question as to the difference in time  between  the  magazine
appearing  on the newstand and the time a subscriber receives the
magazine, better customer service and a  complimentary  subscrip-
tion.

Sincerely,

Tom Hayko

end of quote
* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
* tjhayko@LUSUN.BITNET         *   knew that)   \\\///   *
* tjhayko@LAKEHEAD.BITNET      *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) (05/04/90)

>      I am writing after a  particularly  annoying  incident  with
> your customer service department.

I sent in a subscription card to Amigaworld around Christmas. It is now
early May and I have yet to see a magazine. I assume they lost it and
I figure if they don't want my money, I'm not going to force it on them.
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					att!ihlpz!dalka

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (05/06/90)

In article <15503@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> dalka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (kenneth.j.dalka) writes:

>I sent in a subscription card to Amigaworld around Christmas. It is now
>early May and I have yet to see a magazine. I assume they lost it and
>I figure if they don't want my money, I'm not going to force it on them.
>--
>
>					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
>					att!ihlpz!dalka
>					IH 4H-416 (312) 979-6930

from those little tearout or fallout cards, IF they get the card in the
first place.  Don't make the assumption that becuase you mailed a card
that it actually reached AmigaWorld's subscription dept. If it's been
six months and you haven't seen an issue and you haven't been billed, then
assume your card never made it and just fill out and send in another one.
Check "bill me" on the card.  You might even want to spell your name
slightly differently ("Kenneth" rather than "Ken")
or add a middle initial so you can track which card caused a subscription
to happen if the issues start showing up. (You can also track who they've
sold your name to such as catalog mailing lists this way).

By checking "bill me" they usually will send you an issue and then start
sending invoices. If you end up getting two subscriptions and two issues

with the same cover date arrive, followed by two invoices,
then pay one, and write "CANCEL" across the other and send 'em both back.

The US Postal Service uses a lot of automated machinery to sort and handle
the billions of pieces of mail which go through it every year... add to
that the human element, bags of mail falling down freight elevator shafts
(this gets discussed often in misc.consumers) and the fact that small
cards get lost or eaten in the avalanche of letter mail, and it's really
fairly amazing that the system works at all!

The same thing goes for sending in software warranty/registration
cards. They stand a much better chance of arriving at their destination
if you stick 'em in an envelope first.

Harv

Plink: CBM*HARV